Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Upgrades that improve (or at least don't hurt) gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Default Upgrades that improve (or at least don't hurt) gas mileage

Ok, so for anyone that read my intro in new members, I'm not a big "car" person. I drove a junky '96 Stratus for years and was only interested in cars as a mode of transportation. But now that I have the 01 SS, I'm getting more interested in learning more. What I would really like to do is make some relatively simple improvements that don't hurt the gas mileage. Is that possible? Like I said, I'm not much of a "gear head" yet, and I'm looking for a good place to start. Right now I'm working with a completely stock 01 SS with the 3800 series engine.

It seems from what I've read on other threads that the common improvements to a 3800 are a cold air intake like the K&N, and a new exhaust that can "handle" the K&N. Am I on the right track with this? Is this a good place to start? What exhaust is recommended? Anything else I should look into? Like I said, I really don't want to tread into anything to complicated or expensive like a supercharger just yet, just dip my toes in the water.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well if you were to tread into the supercharger you would be basically replacing half of your engine, it's not a bolt on supercharger procedure.

Second, you are right in the cold air intake (i have the k&n, a lot of people swear by the wiz-aired from zzp) Also you don't necessarily need a full exhaust, but you will need to get the u-bend delete.

Wizaired set-up
K&N set-up
downpipe for u-bend delete + getting rid of restrictive cat

alternate K&N set-up

Start with those, they can all be done with simple hand-tools and not much knowledge, plus you will have a slight gain in MPG

Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 AM

and a new exhaust that can "handle" the K&N
IMO your stock exhaust is fine. If it flows enough to handle stock power, it will be plenty for handling stock + a couple whp. The only reason I'd change the catback at all on a stock or near stock 3800 is if you personally want it louder.

I do agree on the DP though- that U bend just after the cat is no good. Plus, a DP is easy to install too- even with a catted version, you're still only looking at 4 bolts, plus the rear O2 sensor.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM

It depends what you want to do and size of wallet. If all you are trying to do is save money on gas, then nothing - leave it as it is.

If performance well then you need to make some sacrifices.

Low dollar would be CAI and Downpipe as mentioned. about 5-10 hp.

Mid would be a tuner for $500. maybe 15 hp and better gas mileage.

High would be a turbo. $3000, 100 hp or so and roughly the same gas mileage.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
It depends what you want to do and size of wallet. If all you are trying to do is save money on gas, then nothing - leave it as it is.
I'm not trying to save gas per se. I'm just looking to make some inexpensive improvements that won't adversely affect my mileage. Short term I don't have a problem with spending up to $1000. Anything more than that is a few years down the road, if ever.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:28 PM

I would definitely start with the cold air intake and exhaust mods (downpipe, ubend removal, cat back exhaust, etc). this will not hurt your mileage at all and might increase it a couple mpg

if you want to gain the optimal mpg, get back to the basics (if you haven't done this already) and make sure everything is tuned up on your ride. check (replace if needed) spark plugs, ignition wires, tire pressure, clean air filter, and a switch to synthetic engine oil.