Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

U bend deleted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Default RE: U bend deleted

When I first put on the new mufflers a few years back and had them remove the resonator, I got half way home and turned around and went back to the shop. It was so loud in the car and the tone was really bad....could'nt even hear myself think. I had them put a short resonator back in which looed like a glass pack . You won't like it without one as montejass mentioned.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

they took the resonator off and i can barely tell its gone, sounds the same to me, a little bit more noise..but nothing noticable, that might change as it brakes in though

and no cat change, just the ubend got taken out for now, and kept the 02 sensor, i have to have it or it wont pass emmissions

Old 01-22-2007, 12:53 AM

Sorry to bring an old thread back, but I still have an unanswered question. Is the ubend before or after the cat? I'm looking to replace the exhaust on my 06 monte and I'm just currious what all is entailed. I want to get a cat back system, probably magna flows, keep the resonator, and do the ubend delete. I know this will void the warranty on the exhaust, but if the ubend is before the cat that will also void the warranty on the cat and the 02 sensor. Any insight?

Steve

PS perhaps a full overview of replacing the exhaust should be stickied in this forum because it is quite a common question

Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 AM

The U-Bend section is after the Cat. I'm not sure if the 06 (after the re-design) has this section on the exhaust. I have an 05 LT and it did have it. I had it replaced and loved the result, however if I had to do it again, I would suggest just saving the cash and replacing the downpipe. I hear good things about the Random Tech Pipe, which already has the U-Bend Deleted as well as the High Flo cat already installed.

Keep the resonator, it really makes no sense to remove it to replace it with a glass pack... in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind that the o2 emulator will not work on my 05, so I do not believe it will work in your 06. Also, you will need to have the second o2 sensor removed from the cars computer to prevent the code from giving you an SES light.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 AM

i've had a number of new w bodies up in the air and i dont belive any had a u-bend, also the cat looks rather different than the previous body style, so i'd check around first to see if messing with the cats helps on the newer generation cars.

imo, play with the cat-back only.