Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

taking out resonator

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Default RE: taking out resonator

on my setup i have cam, heads, headers, 3" exhaust, no cat, and a resonator with the above mods it makes alot of different on exhaust sound. i had to put the resonator back on cause i have neighbor complain and set off car alarm lol.
Then you're comparing apples to oranges. Deleting a resonator on a near stock setup is different than on a car w/ all those mods- the exhaust notes will be a good deal different between the two.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM

sorry i haven't weighed in sooner... i have been absent from MCF for a couple months now!

here is a thread i created when i got my exhaust work done: https://montecarloforum.com/m_85446/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
i deleted my resonator and love it the way it sounds now (the exhaust has been worn-in for a year since the video now and has changed a little... i am actually considering putting a cut-out in when i drop pulleys... but that's neither here nor there!) the amount of cabin noise increase wasn't so significant... it is worst around 2000 rpm but imo our montes start off too quiet on the inside!

what i did: 3" ZZP downpipe with high-flow cat, u-bend and resonator deletes, 3" to the y-pipe with 2.5" after back to Flowmaster Super 40...

the nice thing about the two videos in the thread is i did both before and afters from a stand-still AND as a drive-by (b/c NOONE drives my car but me and i wanted to hear what it sounded like!) good luck with your decision... the important thing, no matter what you do, is that YOU like the way it sounds; what other ppl think really doesn't matter!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

on my setup i have cam, heads, headers, 3" exhaust, no cat, and a resonator with the above mods it makes alot of different on exhaust sound. i had to put the resonator back on cause i have neighbor complain and set off car alarm lol.
Then you're comparing apples to oranges. Deleting a resonator on a near stock setup is different than on a car w/ all those mods- the exhaust notes will be a good deal different between the two.
what i was trying to get at was his car is near stock and by deleting the resonator will just make it sound worst. the resonator is there for a reason that's why i said i wouldn't bother taking it out specially if your car is near stock. i wouldn't even take it off if the car have mods in it. i made a mistake when i took mine off, well now the resonator back on. same way as i see people putting alot of money in their exhaust work and hoping to make it sound like V8. this is a V6 and no you're not going to get that V8 throaty sound. sure it sounds good at idle, but try to listen to it at a take off or give it a gas at a stop. mine still have little raspy sound to it at wot. like everybody said it's his car maybe he might like the sound of it. make some video after you delete the resonator out.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM

Im not trying to make my car sound like a v8, if i wanted to do that i would of just invested more money and got the 2006 ss. Im just trying to make my car sound good to my ears.

here is a vid of how it sounds now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYz-THWGv0

Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: kingzen34

Im not trying to make my car sound like a v8, if i wanted to do that i would of just invested more money and got the 2006 ss. Im just trying to make my car sound good to my ears.

here is a vid of how it sounds now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYz-THWGv0

don't take it personally i wasn't referring YOU trying to make your car sound like a V8. i was talking in general like some people trying to make their sound like a V8. i watch the video and and i think the car sounds nice the way it is. maybe a down pipe and muffler will bring out the sound more