Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

taking out resonator

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Default taking out resonator

Im trying to make my car a bit louder, i currently have 2.5 inch pipes from the resonator to some flowmasters mufflers. the question is. do you guys have any videos or sound clips of your cars without resonator?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: taking out resonator

What year is your car? If I acquire an 04 Intimidator I will probably leave the exhaust stock but I will do the U-bend delete and I am going to have the muffler shop get rid of the resonator and weld a straight pipe in it’s place. I think there will be more cabin noise but I am not sure about the overall sound of the exhaust.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: AwsomeSS
I think there will be more cabin noise but I am not sure about the overall sound of the exhaust.
As I understand it, without a resonator there definitely will be more cabin noise. I still have the resonator in mine, along with the stock mufflers. I like that it's quiet in the cabin, as I used get annoyed as hell on long trips with an 02 Camaro I used to own - with a Flowmaster Series 80. At 65-75 mph, the drone would get downright loud. Around town it wasn't too bad, though.

At some point, I may revise the mufflers in my 05 Monte, but I'll probably keep a resonator in it.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM

I have a 2001 ss na. Im probly going to end up doing it to see how it sounds. the muffler shop place here in town said they'll do it for 40 bucks so its not that big of a loss if i dont like it. I've also been thinking of a cherrybomb glasspack. Any of you have cherry bomb or possibly heard a 3800 na with cherrybomb before?

Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

leave the resonator alone....don't even think out chppong off!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM

i'm with silverbullitt on this one. leave it in, it won't sound so abnoxious inside your car. it doesn't really change the overall sound either. put some louder mufflers on, but not glass packs. imo, i think they sound a little too loud. i personally just like a slight rumble more than stockand don't like it when everyone down the street can hear me start my car.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 PM

leave the resonator alone....don't even think out chppong off!
Honestly- this is a big matter of personal opinion. Some people like the sound straight pipe, some people prefer the sound of stock exhaust. Everyone uses their cars in different ways (some are just play toys, some do regular commutes, and some practically live in their car travelling)- and everyone has their own idea of what noise levels are acceptable to them- so honestly, no one is going to be able to tell you for sure if it will be what you want.

The best thing to do is to either find someone local with similar exhaust to what you want (shouldn't be too hard since L36 3800s came in a lot of different vehicles)- or listen to clips on youtube, streetfire, etc.

Personally, I love the sound of a deleted res. Thats what I did on my daily driver gtp- a 3" downpipe / no cat + a powerlog (very little effect on the sound) + a resonator delete, still running stock mufflers.

It is a bit louder than stock- but still quieter than a 3800 with aftermarket mufflers. Everyone told me that the resonance would be terrible on the highway- and honestly, in low load/ no load situations like cruising down the highway- I can't even hardly hear the exhaust unless I turn off the radio and heater/ac blower. The only time I notice a real change is during moderate/heavy load acceleration, and during really cold startups.

Regardless, its still going to ultimately be up to you to decide if its the sound you want or not.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Here's a clip I took of how mine sounds on the inside sometime last year at about 7200 feet above sea level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEgPG...e=channel_page

I like hearing my exhaust, before I had the exhaust work done I couldn't tell if the car was on or not without looking at the tach. Can't say it bothers me that much on longer trips and I do take plenty that are atleast 50 miles, most trips I take are over 200 miles. The stock stereo system can easily overpower my exhaust so I can always drown it out if I need, and I've never had problems with talking over the exhaust.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 PM

thanx god bot, that sound clicks sounds good, Im going to get it the res delete this monday. Im going to try it out and see how i like car's sound. if it sounds crappy ill throw on a high performance glass pack. thanx everyone for your opinions

Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

after you get the resonator delete have someone drive your car while you stand outside and listen how it sounds at a take off. you will not like it! imo it will sound very raspy and ricey. on my setup i have cam, heads, headers, 3" exhaust, no cat, and a resonator with the above mods it makes alot of different on exhaust sound. i had to put the resonator back on cause i have neighbor complain and set off car alarm lol.

Quick Reply: taking out resonator