Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Default air intake

Plain and simple I took out the air filter box in my 01 monte carlo ss, and i put a cold air filter on the end of the hose that connected to the stock air box, and I was curious if this is going to mess up the engine in any way or if its going to give me horse power gain or loss.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Default RE: air intake

it seems that with your set up you might be losing power. this is because
1: you still have part of the air box right in front of it keeping cold air from getting to it
2: you also have no heat shield.

warm air= less power
cold air = more power

Old 12-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Tear out the factory part thats left through the core support behind the headlight...there is a freakin huge hole through there out it in there... a heat sheild would also help but i'd say it still has to flow better than stock

Old 12-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

DEFINATELY need a heat shield. I'd remove the old air box, also.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:31 PM

I was going to remove the other part of the box, but theirs what seems like a computer or some sort of sensor box inside there im not sure if its going to affect it if i take it out and put it out of the box.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM

That's the PCM. You can buy a PCM tray to mount it to once you've removed the rest of the stock airbox.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM

i put a cold air filter on the end of the hose
Nope, a cold air intake isolates the filter from engine bay heat. What you installed is called a hot air intake.

if its going to give me horse power gain or loss.
I would say a loss. My reason behind that is you made your situation worse instead of better.

If you cut that filter so it laid out flat, I bet your actual surface area is similar in size to stock- so your restriction to flow through the filter probably remained the same.

You still left the corrogated intake tubing that causes minor turbulence in the intake. The only part you eliminated was the back part of the airbox that really has no effect on anything.

Then, you opened up the intake to the very hot radiator fan wash, and now you're drawing in air less than a foot from a super hot exhaust crossover (ever touch that thing after you get done driving?). Not to mention, heat rises- so all the hot air from the engine bay is building up around your filter and the underside of the hood when you come to a stop. Before, it took cool air in from behind the headlight- which never really sees any hot air, and almost immediately goes to ambient temperature once you start moving.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well see how mine works, mines similar but with a chrome tube. The middle of it is i nthe area where the old one was (have yet to cut apart old air box, but I just did it for the sound and looks, although im sure it gives a bit of performance untill it gets very heated up in the engine.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 PM

i finished making the air intake tube and i took out the old air box out of it check it out, all i need now is a heat shield/ insulation, which i will hopefully get from a hardware store for cheap. take a look

Old 12-27-2008, 07:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Looks good.

Quick Reply: air intake