Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

straight pipe? possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default straight pipe? possibly?

Hey guys i was just wondering the pros and cons of cutting out the muffler and replacing it with pipe.. is it going to sound bad? or should i just try to obtain some magnaflow mufflers. i just want some more sound out of my exhaust. The CAI has opened it up to a degree but still want a louder roar.

heres what it sounds like now, it sounds louder in the video.

subscribe me and ill subscribe back!

Last edited by Mr.Monte; 01-03-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Well to give you an idea, here is what I have. No mufflers and a glasspack in place of the resonator. I have the L67 which supposedly is deeper sounding.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Keane's is pretty cool but a lot of drone hahaha. I figure mine is in between (and I have the l36)

I have borla mufflers and a res delete but any quality chambered mufflers could make a similiar sound.

Also just curious is your stock? Straight pupe will give you a louder more agressive sound but If you want something a little throatier then you have got to have something on the pipes.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM

IMO straight pipe sounds nasty, especially if you have a 3800. Regardless, it's loud and droney for no real reason (ie no performance gain). I'd replace the stock mufflers with aftermarket ones.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Well to give you an idea, here is what I have. No mufflers and a glasspack in place of the resonator. I have the L67 which supposedly is deeper sounding.

not bad! do you notice any loss in power??

Monte Carlo Exhaust - YouTube
Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Keane's is pretty cool but a lot of drone hahaha. I figure mine is in between (and I have the l36)
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT19RuIDw-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have borla mufflers and a res delete but any quality chambered mufflers could make a similiar sound.

Also just curious is your stock? Straight pupe will give you a louder more agressive sound but If you want something a little throatier then you have got to have something on the pipes.
dang that sounds pretty good too! and mines a stock L67 with a Wizaired CAI

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO straight pipe sounds nasty, especially if you have a 3800. Regardless, it's loud and droney for no real reason (ie no performance gain). I'd replace the stock mufflers with aftermarket ones.
Any good aftermarkets that work well on the L67? GMPP?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
Any good aftermarkets that work well on the L67? GMPP?

Are you looking to just swap mufflers, or for a complete system?

A muffler swap would be the cheaper option assuming the rest of your piping is in good shape. Muffler preferences vary by person- I'd suggest going on youtube and searching for 3800 cars with the different mufflers you're looking at.

I know a lot of the GP guys like the Borla ProXS mufflers, but again, it's mostly personal taste.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A muffler swap would be the cheaper option assuming the rest of your piping is in good shape. Muffler preferences vary by person- I'd suggest going on youtube and searching for 3800 cars with the different mufflers you're looking at.

I know a lot of the GP guys like the Borla ProXS mufflers, but again, it's mostly personal taste.
I agree. I would just swap the mufflers out. It takes some research but look around for sound clips of various mufflers. I had to do this with my ls4 before going with magnaflow... I also would never straight pipe a 3800 especially if it's your dd

Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

yeah my piping is in good shape so it would just be a muffler swap. and thanks ill check some out now!

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I agree. I would just swap the mufflers out. It takes some research but look around for sound clips of various mufflers. I had to do this with my ls4 before going with magnaflow... I also would never straight pipe a 3800 especially if it's your dd
yeah it is my DD so im probably just going to check around till i find something i like. thanks man