Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Stock intake with cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:56 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

@bumpin

do you have any pictures?
what's a rough estimate on how much plexi glass i would need?and price?

and the intake will sit where the stock airbox is sitting now right?

and i can just cover it leaving one end open for air entrance right which will be the side closest to my headlight?

and finally, in your own opinion, whats better
a FWI or CAI?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02montecSS
@bumpin

and i can just cover it leaving one end open for air entrance right which will be the side closest to my headlight?

a FWI or CAI?
cai has less bends to the intake manifold but can be warmer at times, the fwi has more bends but gets cooler air, its personal preference

Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM

@bumpin

Not on my computer- just from what I've seen on the various wbody forums through the years.

I couldn't tell you how much square footage you'd need since I haven't built one before myself- but you could get a quick measurement yourself by measuring the size of the stock airbox- and calculating the area of each side. I'd imagine a standard 4'x8' sheet of plastic would be more than enough. Price depends where you get it from, and what plastic you go with. I used to order my ABS through work so I got it for a discounted rate (not to mention, if you didn't have somewhere local that sold the stuff, I'm sure shipping sucks for a sheet). Also depends on the thickness you go with- 1/8" thick plexi is far far cheaper than 3/8".

Personally, I'd rather use regular black ABS for everything, except maybe the top- that way it'll still retain a somewhat stockish look. For me, an all clear plastic box would be a little too 'blingy', but its all personal opinion.

Yes. If you're building a CAI box, that's the only place you'll have enough room in the engine bay.

Yes- headlight; or headlight and fenderwell. You could also do the K&N style and go with an open top- just try and get it as close to the hood contour as possible and use rubber weatherstrip to contact the hood and seal it when its closed. A full box would be easier to seal off totally from engine bay heat though.

a FWI or CAI?
IMO, for looks- a CAI box blows the FWI out of the water. I hate the hardware store look of plumbing running all over the engine bay. I like nice, plain jane black CAI boxes- since they look like they belong.

However, for power gains compared to price and time invested, the FWI wins by a long shot. You can build a FWI in an hour or two for little more than the cost of the filter. Connect the hose to the TB, run it into the fender- connect the filter and mount it- done. With building your own CAI box, you could spend a day or two getting something put together and measured out correctly.

Its all personal opinion- power gains should be virtually the same, especially on NA cars. The FWI will guarantee 100% cold air in- but suffers from more flow restriction due to all the extra tube length and bends. The CAI has the benefit of a super short intake tract (just as short as stock, if not shorter)- but suffers from heat leaking into the box or around the box edges if its not sealed correctly. Either way- you're not talking a massive power gain- even if one makes 1 hp more than the other, you won't really be able to tell anyways.