Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Stock intake with cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stock intake with cone filter

hello members,
ive been wanting to put a CAI in my 02 monte but currently do not have enough money. I was wondering if anyone knows how it will perform if i were to add a k&n cone filter to my stock intake tubing, seeing that the aluminum gets hot faster. Also will the cone filter fit in the stock intake box and the plastic tubing?

has anyone done it?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

I'm willing to bet that a cone filter will not fit into the stock airbox. You would end up putting it on where the airbox use to be and then your engine would get louder but it would perform worse because you would be drawing hot air into the intake.

Just wait until you can afford some tubing and the cone filter. If you do it right, it'll end up costing you $50-60 in the end.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
I'm willing to bet that a cone filter will not fit into the stock airbox. You would end up putting it on where the airbox use to be and then your engine would get louder but it would perform worse because you would be drawing hot air into the intake.

Just wait until you can afford some tubing and the cone filter. If you do it right, it'll end up costing you $50-60 in the end.
x2, i have a cone filter that im trying to get rid of, its a spectre let me know if your interested, but you can just take some flexible piping and make it into a FWI by putting it into the fender well

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM

has anyone on here done a DIY FWI?
an FWI is just running the tubing and the filter as far to the fender well as possible right?

also, i was wondering if it is possible to install a blow off valve on an aluminum intake pipe, seeing that the intake sucks in air and then stops when the throttle closes. i love the sound of a BOV!lol

how much are you willing to sell the filter for?how old is it?

Note to everyone, i am barely 18 and my Monte is my first car so please excuse my ignorance on these subjects and my curiosity

Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 PM

a few more questions, if i remove the stock air box and replace with an intake and cone filter, where would the computer go that is in the air box?would it get damaged?
and can i add a cone filter to stock tubing AND build an air box that can house the intake?Ive seen the DIY CAIs with the sheet metal wall but i didnt really like how it looked

Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

If you need an example of a homemade fwi, here's my old setup which worked great:

Do NOT get a blowoff valve. Only get that if you have a turbo. If you ever get a chance to check a blowoff valve out, try and open the valve by hand. You'll find that it's actually kind of hard to open, and the little amount of air being stopped by the throttle body being closed isn't going to open that valve.

As far as your PCM being exposed, you will have to either make a cover for it or buy one like the one that ZZP offers:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...cts1.php?id=91

Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 AM

oh ok.so i would need to buy a cone filter that will fit into my fender well and then go to a hardware store to buy like 2 feet of piping and cut to my desired size right?. how many feet did you use?
where did you get the coupling that has the connection for air temp/oxygen sensor?
or did you just cut the original pipe and connect it with those clamps?

and thanks for the input on the BOV. Now i see why people dont do it.lol

@trewyn15 im still waiting for a price.lol

Old 10-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would say go with the 3rd one you have listed, i think that the last one would be too big, the 3rd on is exactly like what i have, i would do $15 shipped, not really looking to make any money on it, but if you can get the ones listed for cheaper i would try that, i just dont want to lose money being in college =p

heres a pic.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Ive seen the DIY CAIs with the sheet metal wall but i didnt really like how it looked
You could always make the wall out of plastic- plexi or black ABS or something. Works even better, especially if you insulate it.

Quick Reply: Stock intake with cone filter