Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Short Ram Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the info, chromeintakes is where I bought the one I have, it didn't come with a heat shield though. I might just buy that one and use the heat shield. How can I extend it a little though?

Last edited by king72467; 04-08-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a hot air intake. Sounds good, thats about it. Oh sometimes it sounds cool, but no gas mileage advantage. Did I mentions I sounds good?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM

if you want ot extend it just get 2 couplers and a small intake pipe (like they sell at autozone) well maybe you just need one coupler and add from where the "chromeintake's" coupler is. do you see what im saying?? like just get maybe a 2" long intake pipe to add on to the intake you bought. and just a little info here, i got a friend who has the same car as me (3400) and he rigged a 3800's K&N short ram (teh one with the cold air box) to his car, and my intake manifold stayed cooler than his when i had the chromeintake's with the heat shield. one more thing, that heat shield makes a pretty cool whistling noise at high rpms. but after all this i said ill say your better off buying a bunch of do it yourself (universal) intake piping from pepboys or somthing and building somehting custom. one that goes behind your headlight. but that dont work too much better than the one from chromeintakes with the heatshield.
wow i dont think ive ever typed "heatshield" so many times in my life.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Did I mentions I sounds good?

No, you didn't- how do you sound?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
if you want ot extend it just get 2 couplers and a small intake pipe (like they sell at autozone) well maybe you just need one coupler and add from where the "chromeintake's" coupler is. do you see what im saying?? like just get maybe a 2" long intake pipe to add on to the intake you bought. and just a little info here, i got a friend who has the same car as me (3400) and he rigged a 3800's K&N short ram (teh one with the cold air box) to his car, and my intake manifold stayed cooler than his when i had the chromeintake's with the heat shield. one more thing, that heat shield makes a pretty cool whistling noise at high rpms. but after all this i said ill say your better off buying a bunch of do it yourself (universal) intake piping from pepboys or somthing and building somehting custom. one that goes behind your headlight. but that dont work too much better than the one from chromeintakes with the heatshield.
wow i dont think ive ever typed "heatshield" so many times in my life.
Thanks. I'm most likely going to buy that heat shield later next week, I'll stop by Autozone today and check out the intake pipe also. So the heatshield from chromeintakes will help gas mileage, since you said it's about the same as putting behind the headlight, or do they both not make much difference?

Oh yeah, it sounds great right now. I felt a difference in power when I got up to higher rpms while on the highway. I just want to get all the benefits from a new intake system, that's all.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM

its not gonna be really really greatly better, but it will be better than just having one of those open filters under the hood. but if youre buying some piping from autozone why not just buy enough to make a bend to go behind your headlight?? i mean doing that will cost as much or maybe just a tiny bit more to make a real CAI. another thing good about autozone is, you can buy everything you could possibly need to build it, and if there is anything you dont need after you build what you want, you can return the extra stuff (all teh piping you didnt use) but one important thing to keep in mind, if you do go the route of making your own CAI and your buying the pipes from autozone, make sure you buy their couplers. i wouldnt use the plastic couplers that come with their universal pipes. ( but thats just me, i wouldnt trust a plastic coupler)
i would definalty go the route of building something instead of getting the heatshielded intake.
vvvvvvvv
I just made this for about 40 bucks >>> next post

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM

keep in mind, the couplers on here are not the ones that came with the universal pipes, they really look like it but they are chrome colored silicone. and that filter is the one that comes with a heat shield. ( the heatshield slips over the filter and has 3 screws to hold it to the base of the filter) im still gonna put the heatshield on to use as a splash guard to protect the filter and just as extra safety. but like i said this only cost me about 40 bucks and if your gonna buy the heatchield, i think youre going to have to buy a whole new kit which is gonnna run you about 40 bucks anyway. i emailed chromeintakes and asked if they sell just pieces to their itakes and they said id have to buy a whole kit and then the a-holes sent me a link trying to get me to buy it.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

i have a short ram intake and i noticed power gain.

This is taken from the roof of the car

Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gothkid
i have a short ram intake and i noticed power gain.
Do you have dyno charts that show that?

Or are you confusing throttle response with power gain?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM

you could definatly get a power gain on a 5th gen from just a short ram. those stock intakes are pretty restrictive. even when i put on my short ram from ebay i noticed a difference in power and response.

Quick Reply: Short Ram Intake question