Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

shifting weird after the k&n???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default shifting weird after the k&n???

whatsup

i installed the k&N system a while back and noticed the tube keep falling/sliding out from the throttle body side and when it does it shifts weird/hard and when i put it back in and tighten it again it usually shift normally a month ago i got my tranny rebuilt and now it does the same thing even tho filter tube is in properly...
did anyone have this issue with the filter tube coming out of the throttle body side or the shifting issue after the install

im thinking about taking the car back to the tranny place buti still think its an issue with the K&n?

any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try cleaning your MAF sensor. The "tube" is a vacuum line IIRC, it needs to be in tact and not leaking

Otherwise, I hope you got a warranty

Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My machanic friend told me to clean the o2 sensor in the intake tube (with Carb Cleaner spray). The K&N filters are oiled and if they are over oiled the oil coats the o2 sensor. If you have had trans problems in the past they could still be haunting you

I have a K&N on my 06 SS and have had no problems
I want to add that this o2 sensor is a hair thin wire. Take extreame caution when cleaning it!

Last edited by Tadcaster; 05-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
My machanic friend told me to clean the MAF sensor in the intake tube (with Mass Air Flow Cleaner cost about $7 at your local auto parts store). The K&N filters are oiled and if they are over oiled the oil coats the MAF sensor. If you have had trans problems in the past they could still be haunting you

I have a K&N on my 06 SS and have had no problems
I want to add that this MAF sensor is a hair thin wire. Take extreame caution when cleaning it!
Fixed..

Thats the MAF sensor your thinking of but you are on the right path

becuase it is a sensitive device that measures airflow to your engine to help map out air/fuel mixture i do not sugest using carb cleaner you do not want any cleaner that will leave any residue on it becuase that can change the measurements of what it is taking, i sugest getting MAF cleaner cost about $7 from your local parts store and works wonders i had to do this on my 00 intrigue

MAF=MASS AIR FLOW sensor it can either be the plate slate syle or bar style

Plate syle(not official name but it's wat i call it) i do belive 6th gens are this style

or
bar style

Last edited by Budsjlm; 05-16-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Check all of your wires going to the pcm. I bumped one when I was installing my CAI and it screwed some stuff up really good.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Check all of your wires going to the pcm. I bumped one when I was installing my CAI and it screwed some stuff up really good.
this and like others said, check the MAF

Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Fixed..

Thats the MAF sensor your thinking of but you are on the right path

becuase it is a sensitive device that measures airflow to your engine to help map out air/fuel mixture i do not sugest using carb cleaner you do not want any cleaner that will leave any residue on it becuase that can change the measurements of what it is taking, i sugest getting MAF cleaner cost about $7 from your local parts store and works wonders i had to do this on my 00 intrigue
Ya what he said (LOL)

Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Definately start with cleaning the MAF. Also I have seen K&N filters cause vehicles to run like crap. Some cars are sensitive to air flow. When you install a K&N and more air flows it can affect other parameters from the PCM.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member

thanks a lot for the help, i tried cleaning the MAF and unfortunately no luck, what i did notice is that the bottom of the intake filter was rubbing on the wires connected to the pcm which were mostly stripped off from the plastic and some wires are deff touching i think i might have to some way separate the wires and cover each one with electrical tape ...wupty frgn doo ... i just hope when i do it at will solve that damn problem its so annoying to have this small retarded issue that causes other things, now because of the hard shifting i hear a lil knock like maybe a mount or link is messed up...thats gona have to wait for a paycheck lol