Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Removing catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Default Removing catalytic converter

Hey guys, new here. Just put a deposit on a clean '06 SS for a daily driver - haven't even picked it up yet. I did a quick search, but didn't find my answer. Just curious if there is an exhaust for our cars that deletes the CAT? I don't have emissions testing in my area, so I want to ditch the CAT to get rid of the heat and restricition and help the engine breathe, not to mention likely sound better! Is there an oxygen sensor after the CAT that I will need to fool so the computer doesn't throw a code? I see several CAT-back systems offered, but I want a full exhaust, even if I have to have it bent locally.

Thanks for your responses!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 PM

hmm better hope a cop never looks under ur car. id jsut get an exhaust with a high flow cat. ur car will breathe just fine with that unless u get into heavy engine modding

Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i dont see a cop crawling under the car to check if there is a cat.. and sorry to say with out an extensive tune after removin the cat you'll throw codes..i dont even know if a tune could eliminate it

Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 PM

you may be able to remove the cat and add an o2 simulator, not sure if there is an aftermaket PCM for the newer cars or not. that being said, if your cat is functioning, its really not going to affect you until you get way deep into engine mods... if anything get a high flow cat and you will be fine. car will likely smell more (and not in a good way) without it also.

...even though you dont have emissions testing, you are still legally required to have a cat... the fine of not having one is pretty hefty, if i recall.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM

from what i've heard, even the stock cats flow pretty well. i would invest in an aftermarket downpipe (from hogan performance) with a magnaflow high flow cat, or at least a downpipe welded to the stock cat. that along with a good catback system would net you some pretty good gains. there is an o2 sensor after the cat anyways so if i was you i would keep some sort of cat in there.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

You won't find an exhaust system that isn't a cat-back for our cars. The only one actually offered is the Magnaflow one. So if you want to get rid of the cat you have to have the done by an exhaust shop.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM

Is there an oxygen sensor after the CAT that I will need to fool so the computer doesn't throw a code?
Yes

I see several CAT-back systems offered, but I want a full exhaust, even if I have to have it bent locally.
You won't find one either- the wbody exhaust system is broken into 3 main, replaceable sections- the headers/manifolds/crossover pipe; the downpipe (including the cat section), and the catback. Are you having trouble finding a downpipe for the car? I don't know if one is made or not for the SS yet. You may have to get a catback, and just have a downpipe made locally if you can't find one.

and sorry to say with out an extensive tune after removin the cat you'll throw codes..i dont even know if a tune could eliminate it
I don't see why it would be any different than on the older Wbodys?

You used to be able to either buy an O2 simulator that just plugged into the harness in place of the O2 sensor, or turn off the code with a pcm tune. From what I understand; there aren't O2 simulators for the newer style- but I still don't see why you can't take HPTuners or some other tuning software and turn the code reporting off.