Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinions/advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinions/advice please

Well, I thought I was done with these exhaust questions, but as fate would have it, I'm back. lol Right now I have a magnaflow high flow cat, no u-bend or resonator, 2 magnaflow performance mufflers (oval straight-through style) and all with the factory 2.25 inch pipe. I am going to be (hopefully) parking the monte for the winter this year, but the exhaust is just too loud. I used to have glasspacks which were bad all around, and now I love the sound, but the highway drone is still too much, and I'm embarassed to drive through quiet neighborhoods at night. I certianly don't want it to be as quiet as stock, and would like to minimize the restriction of the exhaust flow. Next year I plan on doing a plog, ceram. crossover, ported rear mani, 2.5" downpipe and all new exhaust the rest of the way back. So for the next few months, what do yinz think would be a good way to go for a third muffler? Another magnaflow, glasspack, or other?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know cause I haven done it yet. But I was told to use the magnaflow glass pack instead of the resonator. The magnaflow cat and the stock mufflers for a deep throaty exhaust sound without the loud wine of a Honda. I currently have the Magnaflow Cat and a gash along the length of my stock resonator. I Love the sound But not the volume. Haven't completed the exhaust cause I been fixing the rest of the car. Next spring I'll put the magnaflow glasspak in and it should quiet down without shutting it up. Well see!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

dont do the plog and crossover etc. just buy headers and be done with it. headers support more power and look way cooler.

as far as wanting to be loud and quiet on the same exhaust system thats not a easy thing to accomplish. the easiest way to accomplish this is to buy a electronic exhaust cutout, open it for loud and close it for quiet all by a switch right beside you

Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not loud and Quiet, I want a soft purr at idle lot normal acceleration But a ROAR at WOT. I know a CAI will help with that.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM

I guess next years project is headers then! lol im thinking, since i have the high-flow cat, u-bend delete AND straight through mufflers, one more straight through magnaflow muffler where the resonator used to be shouldnt hurt my exhaust flow any, right? And in theory, it would quiet down the drone but still keep a decent tone under acceleration. Right? lol

Old 09-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you would probably benefit by just putting a resonator back on. The resonators whole purpose is to help with the drone.

My exhaust system is a PLOG into a downpipe with a gutted cat, into the GMPP cat-back, which was just a Magnaflow system, 2.5" piping, 18" resonator, and 2 magnaflow mufflers with 4" tips.

Before the boost the exhaust was loud, but the drone wasn't too terrible. Now that I have boost the exhaust note is a lot nicer.

So I guess what I'm saying is, either try another resonator on the car, or boost it

Old 09-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Oh boosting is inevitable lol just not anytime soon. Now, by resonator, you mean like a thrush glasspack or something similar, right? Not another straight-through muffler? Or it wont matter either way....

Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I mean a resonator, not a 3rd muffler haha

Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 AM

On mine I just put a cat back exhaust on it nothing special but it was cost effective I put the dynomax super turbo exhaust on it is still quiet but also loud at WOT and it sounds good at idle (in my opinion) i know that they sell the pieces to my exhaust separate and the resonator is about 70 bucks on summit. I am new to the whole Modding scene but I think it gives good tone so that could be an option for u to try I hope this helps a little. Best of luck

Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM

I'm just going to run it the way it is for now and save my money to do headers and a full 2.5'' exhaust with 2 Magnaflows at the back and an electric cut out.. I know it will sound much better after that. I don't see fulfilling my dream of a full RWD Turbo build on the Monte anytime soon, so I'll just make it the best it can be the way it is now and enjoy it. Thanks for all the opinions guys!