Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Opinions Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinions Please!!!

Hi Everyone...

Ok, so I already have "MONTE CARLO" floor mats, but I am looking at getting new ones. The ones I have are nice, but they don't have the rubber spikes on the back like the OEM ones do, and they move around...Drives me crazy. They came with those mounting hooks, but there is no way in hell i'm cutting my carpet to put them in. Plus, I had the lettering done in silver to match my seats, and it looks AWESOME since my carpeting is ebony, and seats are a super light grey. But, the lettering gets really dirty beings its a floor mat, and dirty drives me crazy too. So I threw them in the washing machine (we have one of those newer front load ones) so I didnt think they would get beat up to much...Well, the glue or whatever is in between the carpet, and plain (spikeless) rubber backing must have gotten ruined with the water or something because now the rubber is kinda seperate from the carpet...but they are still held to gether fine because of the stitching. Yet they lost some of there rigidness (spelling?) so now they not only move, but they bunch up when they move...So yea, i'm irritated with them, and want new ones...but love the Monte Carlo written on them, so i don't want to throw in the OEM mats again.

After some online research, I found a place called The Floor Mat Guys. They look to be really nice quality mats, and they will embroider them for me too...here's where I need the opinions...

-What color is closest to Ebony? There options are Graphite or Charcoal...I'm thinking Graphite. I know its not black for sure, made that mistake the first time and it cost me a new set of mats (yes i'm that **** lol)

-Since its impossible to keep the silver lettering clean, even though I love the way it looks, I am thinking of changing the lettering to Black. So it would be Graphite (almost black) carpeting against solid black lettering. Very suttle, but still very noticable...What do you guys think?

-Also, now that I have the "RS" kit, I was thinking about have the mats say "MONTE CARLO RS" instead or just "MONTE CARLO"...What do you guys think should do here? I'm not sure since the "RS" will be the same block lettering as the MONTE CARLO, and the badges on the car are that unique font Chevy uses on the badges...hmmmmm what to do?

Also, I think i'm going to add the heel pad to the driver side mat just to keep it from wearing down the carpet on the mat...its only 5 bucks extra, and I don't think it will look bad on just the drivers side. Thoughts?

Thanks Everyone I appreciate you thoughts and opinions....

Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Hi Michael, Below is a link that may give you some idea's.
Let us know what U decide...Good Luck from `Space/Bum's
Embroidered Chevrolet Monte Carlo Floor Mats

Please Click Pictures Below To Enlarge

Starting At: $89.95

All Embroidered Chevrolet Monte Carlo Floor Mats are made to order and will be specifically made to your vehicle year and model for the perfect fit. Please make sure to fill out your vehicle information completely during the checkout process.

Please click the button below to view all colors,
and embroidery selections on our new web site.

All Embroidered Chevrolet Monte Carlo Floor Mats are custom made to your color and design selections. And because of this customization process the floor mats are not returnable or refundable so please take care in placing your order exactly as needed.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:21 PM

10 Year Member

Thank Space...The Lloyd mats from USSPEED are exactly what I have now...Great mats/ quality. I just don't like the fact that they are flat rubber on the back instead of the spiked rubber. And like I said, I don't want to cut a hole in my carpet to put the hooks that hold in the mats to keep them from sliding around. But I did find these other mats that have the spikes like I want...i'm just torn on the color to choose cause I want it to match well.

This is the link to the mats i'm looking at...and you get to customize what is says.
http://floormatguys.com/cgi-bin/floor-mat_process4.pl

Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Michael, the floor guys site is good, but US Speed also
has the fastener's also I'd get the color mat that
makes YOU `Happy 4-Sure.
Let us know what U decide & of course we expect pictures ; )
Good Luck

Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i could see those fasteners becoming annoying.... if you wanna try something else, i would say to get some of those super thin & cheesy rubber floormats from the discount store, you know, they are like thin as paper and cost like $5 for a set.... see if you can find black ones with the spiky backs, and than velcro them onto the backs of your currant floor mats.... so its like you added the spikes yourself. idk how it would hold up, but its worth a try, and you could save the old ones for crappy weather ( if that happens in california).... or better yet, you could send them postage paied to me

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think the black would look nice on the dark grey.

But you should definitely find new ones with the rubber grips.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I had the Lloyds mats in my 03 and I think I had the graphite color - it was lighter grey than the carpet but kinda matched the cloth seats. I too had Monte Carlo in silver and the drivers side got filthy! I sold those and I just ended up going with the all weather mats from weathertech. But I think GMPD sells the Monte Carlo rubber mats and those should have the grippy teeth on the back.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't put the embroidery in black on the dark grey mats.

What you could do is install the passenger side mat, and go with a cheap rubber mat on the driver's side for everyday use. If or when you decide to show off the car, switch out the cheap driver's side mat for the good one.

That's what I've done for this summer in my car. Not the greatest solution, but I wanted to at least have my Dale Jr signature mats visible when a passenger gets into the car.

In the winter time, the carpetted mats come out and some decent, rubber, winter floor mats go in. Winter time is about functionality, not looks. At least when floor mats are concerned.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 PM

10 Year Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone...I just found out that I can have the lettering put vertically on the outter edge...That just might work well. I think it would keep direct foot contact away from the lettering, thus keeping it WAY cleaner, meaning I could get silver again, which as i've said compliments the interior very well.

I also e-mailed the maker of the new mats i'm looking at getting, to ask how low they place the lettering on the horizontal mounted letters...if its lower, and not right in the center, that would work better...the lloyd have the lettering right in the center, which is why where the heel of my foot rest, or if im using cruise control, sometimes I rest my feet in a sitting position vs. having them straight out...but this puts my feet right on top of the lettering getting it really dirty...Lloyd just didnt think this through the best before deciding on where to put the lettering...HELLO, put it out of the way of the foot traffic area...

Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

michael, check out these mats i recently won on e-bay, pretty sweet, i think? and they have the gripping on the bottom! glad you hopefully found a good set for you!!

Quick Reply: Opinions Please!!!