Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New mods for my baby

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Default New mods for my baby

Just got my K&N intake installed (did it at home) and got the U-bend delete (ZZP part) done at a local tire store (for $15 labor).
So the first time I drove it after the intake install I couldn't figure out if I had an air leak or if it was just that loud...
Got everything tightened up, adjusted, etc and took it down the road for 'stress testing'. Just minding my own business, going to the spot I'd picked out to punch it, and some old lady in a Volvo cuts me off- grrr. So I check my mirrors and blindspot, see that it's open, and whip over to pass, ever-so-gently mashing the pedal at the same time...
She sounded Angry! Like she was as peeved at the old lady as I was. And of course, the extra burst of speed was a lot of fun and more than a little surprising. I couldn't stop smiling.
So I get to the spot I've picked out and set up to launch (it's a remote area with little traffic). As I'm about to go, some guy in an F250 Magnum pulls up. I'm minding my own business but he decides to challenge when I go... ended badly for him. Not much of a kill story, but it was still kind of fun.
Still not used to the sound it makes, especially as I first start the engine, but it quiets down after a minute or two, and the sound it makes when I punch the accelerator is very satifsying. Overall, I'd recommend these mods to anyone.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Default RE: New mods for my baby

Cool!! I like to hear stories like that. Did you take any pics of the install process? Question...you said F-250 Magnum? So...was it a Ford or a Dodge? Or was it a Fordge? Either way, kill's a kill. Score another victory for the Knight in Shining Armour.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM

LoL! Caught that after I posted... It was a Frod- I saw the funky passenger window and the 250 emblem. Either way it was fun hearing him try to get that huge hunk of junk moving, only to be embarassed by my family car.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 AM

Oh, and the only pic I took was of my wife's azz in her tight jeans leaning into the engine bay to look for a nut I'd 'accidentally' dropped.. and she'd kill me if that got onto the internet. You guys will have to imagine that one for yourselves.

I'll try to get a finished pic up, but it looks pretty much like the other pics of the same install already up on this board. One question: some guys have done clear covers over the filter- where do you get the material?

Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The clear material is 1/8 inch polycarbonate, "Lexan" or similar. Don't use clear acrylic "Plexiglass", it's too brittle. Any good glass shop will carry the lexan. I bent a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 aluminum to for a clip to hold the back, and added a piece of 1/2" weatherstripping under the strut brace to help push it down. The front tucks under the brace also. Lexan is easy to work with. Any kind of saw will cut it. I just paid $31 for a new piece big enough to make 2 covers. My first attempts were free scraps. I have 3 covers now. 2 are plexiglass, 1 lexan.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

good to hear you had some fun and won a race

i just love the sound the intake makes