Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Need advice on installing Speed Daddy headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 AM

There is one small bolt that holds it in place, after that it just pulls out..

I did mine with just removing that bolt, twisting the stick to the side, but I uh kinda "forced" it in there with a little angry encouragement..

Youre better off removing it cause they break easy and Im lucky I didnt do so..

Start the video at around 9:35 and youll see him take it out..

Last edited by wht02monte; 06-17-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM

As for using header wrap , I have used DEI wrap before on my Fiero and it was a bad decision . The wrap does work keeping the heat down but what nobody seems to mention it absorbs water. And after a few years on use it managed to rot out a stainless steel manifold , I'm not sure if the volcanic wrap will do the same but the cloth will absorb water that splashes onto the fabric.Good luck

Old 06-18-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey fellas,

I guess I'm still having issues getting that darned thing in. There isn't a lot of room and those two metal bars are stopping it basically. I've unbolted as much as I can to make more room but no luck. Looking for some suggestions or point outs to something I may be missing. I have been holding the engine towards the front of the car for a few more inches.

​​​​​​

Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Are you in a state where you need that EGR system? If not, take that off and block it. I did and im actually pretty happy i did. If so, id say remove it and put it back on after you get the header in..

Even after I had the egr removed I spent a good two hours trying to jimmy that rear header in.. It finally decided it would go in with no problem..

Ill think if theres anything else I can think of but ive seen a few times that you should be able to get it in there without removing the egr..

Are you sure you have the engine as far forward as you can get it?? I used a car jack between the engine and firewall to push it forward. As said above, the only thing you need to worry about it ripping the engine out of the mounts.

Jeeze lol, I wish I could come help so bad XD I know what a pain it was for me..

Last edited by wht02monte; 06-18-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for that quick replay, man. I'll give that a shot and remove it (and put it back on). This is the last thing I need to do before spending a few hours getting it all done. Glad you know what I'm going through, helps me push forward.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:09 AM

Curious how this is going for you.. Finish yet??

Old 07-03-2018, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member

Hey, thanks for reaching out. I'm actually starting the vehicle tonight in close to a month. I have everything completed, minus the 02 sensor extender coming in the mail this afternoon. This was my fault, as I should've ordered from ZZP (Michigan to IA)...instead I ordered from some random Ebay account that took a week and half to ship.

Thanks for all the help, wouldn't of been able to get it finished without it. My only gripe with those Speed Daddy Headers is that the crossover pipe barely fit. I did some research and wasn't alone. I really had to muscle it in there, and even then, I don't think it's all in. I had to really tighten down the exhaust clamps to make sure it's nice and tight.

Again, thank you.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

When I had started it for the first time, it seemed as if it wasn't running smoothly. After about a minute I could see exhaust smoke coming out of the headers. I'm positive they are both on tight. It looked as if the revs were going up and down but not too bad. It was definitely louder than I thought. Thoughts? I also noticed I have an extra space on the front header. I'm sure I got the front one on correctly. Pic included. Engine got hot pretty quickly.

I did change wires and plugs, made sure I didn't mix up the wires. Labeled them. I wonder if it's the plugs, maybe I forgot to gap it out of the box.

Last edited by HKnux5112; 07-03-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member

Couple of other things, in case it may help. Wires are on correctly, firing order good.

Need to bleed the coolant system (air), but don't think that will affect the initial startup.

It sounds like a V8 when idling, or cammed. It was very loud in the engine bay.

Exhaust flow out the back of the two mufflers was decent.

I can take a video if needed.

Last edited by HKnux5112; 07-03-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 AM

The headers smoke like hell after the first start up.. I think its some protective coating or something.. Scared the hell outta me at first..

It should be a little louder in the engine bay but what youre describing sounds like a leak.. I would suspect the gaskets they provide.. They seem too soft and thick but mine did work.. I was worried about that myself..

Theres a specific way to tighten these.. Tighten the two outer nuts/bolts, then work your way in.. Dont tighten them all the way on the first pass. Get them snug then go back to the outer bolts and work your way in again..

I did that and a couple days later had to do it again, then a month later, again.. Its starting whistle now so that means I gotta tighten them again..

I see if I can think of anything else.. Id start with loosening them and re-tighten them.. Look up the exact procedure because I could be off a little..

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Need advice on installing Speed Daddy headers