Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Need advice on installing Speed Daddy headers (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/need-advice-installing-speed-daddy-headers-59815/)

HKnux5112 06-09-2018 05:37 PM

Need advice on installing Speed Daddy headers

Ive purchased these types of headers and am currently installing them. The front exhaust manifold was easy enough to take out, along with the crossover pipe.

Main problem, which I'm sure you've heard before, is the manifold in the back. I need some advice on getting these things off. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

wht02monte 06-10-2018 06:35 AM

Remove the "dog bone" engine mounts and rock the engine as needed..

What I did was remove those dog bones, then push the car itself while in park(making the engine rock) then threw a wheel stop under the wheel to keep the engine pushed forward..

That, and my wifes little makeup mirror helped quite a bit to see where the bolts were..

Also removing the EGR valve helped me.. But I was doing a block at the same time..

HKnux5112 06-11-2018 08:51 AM

Nice, I will try that tonight. Scared half to death to get under the vehicle for the rest of the system but will have to grow a pair eventually.

bumpin96monte 06-11-2018 08:59 PM

Another option is a ratchet strap. Unbolt the dog bones, hook one end to the front engine puller hook and the other on the upper rad support then crank away. Just don't go too crazy and tear a lower mount, it's easy to get a lot of force on it.

Why are you scared about getting under the car? These cars are very easy to support safely with Jack stands under the cradle. Just get some nice ones and you'll have no issues.

HKnux5112 06-13-2018 09:52 AM

Been able to get most of the bolts out. Have a few that are blocked by the heat shield. Lucky me, those bolts were already stripped, so I will be cutting the shield with a metal cutter this evening.

One more question for the forum, what's the easiest way to get that 02 sensor out? It looks like I may not have the tool to take it out. Thanks as always MC Forum.

bumpin96monte 06-13-2018 09:34 PM

They make a special socket for O2 sensors, it's got a slit down the side for the wire to slip into.

HKnux5112 06-15-2018 01:03 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone. Went to AutoZone and got the 02 socket. Have another one that I need to take out (near resonator). The bolts that attach the down pipe to the rear exhaust manifold were so rusted on, that it took quite a while to get them to come off. Felt really good to get the hardest part done.

With that, hoping tonight I can install the new headers and down pipe, along with at least starting on the new CAT system. Shouldn't take too long.

One more question, would it be worth it to header wrap the new down pipe as well? I'm assuming it would help reduce some of that heat that will come off of it.

wht02monte 06-15-2018 02:17 PM

I wouldnt bother.. Ive used that stuff on the crossover and it really didnt even help much.. There shouldnt be anything there that the heat will bother..

mine is not wrapped and theres no problem..

bumpin96monte 06-16-2018 03:57 PM

I agree, the downpipe is too far away to impact anything. Not worth the time.

HKnux5112 06-16-2018 04:35 PM

Did anyone have trouble getting the new rear manifold in? I might have to remove the transmission dipstick but never done so before. I think that's the only thing stopping it.

Do I just twist it like a bolt to remove it?