Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

My new 2006 SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM

do you have any HP info for your straight pipe?

How did you tie it into the down pipe? I see your from belleville, im outside of STL in MO, any suggestions on shops to do this at? Cost?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM

How big are those tips?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM

my bad, thats belleville ny not illinois haha sorry

Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM

I had a y pipe put to the cat converter the rest is stock until I get my headers. As for the tips they are three inch Gibson tips. Just find someone that does mandrel bending who appreciates what a v-8 should sound like, the price...mine was 350 even but it depends on the shop. As for horsepower, I'm not sure. Definitely noticeable. One thing you can do for free if you want the car to pull better off the line is a motor mount flip. Inside there is a rubber piece, you need to take it apart, spray the edges with wd-40 and work it back and forth until it flips around once. That allows the solid side to be where the give was before. if you don't know what I mean some of the other members will explain it better. I'm pretty sure theirs a topic on it also. There is plenty to do, you just have to look a little harder with these cars.

Last edited by demonspeeder1; 07-15-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM

gotcha, cool. thanks for the info....so you just replaced the mufflers with straight pipes and the rest of the exhaust pipe is custom huh? cool cool, I will probably get that hogan catless downpipe and go with the straight pipe into 3 or 4 inch tips depepnding on what I find

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM

but heres the thing i just thought about, if i go catless and muffler'less (lol), how will i ever get an inspection? Have any of you with straight
pipes ever got tickets for it? or is it not THAT loud?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 PM

but heres the thing i just thought about, if i go catless and muffler'less (lol), how will i ever get an inspection?
If you remove the cat and ever have to go through an emission inspection- you'll have to have the pcm tuned to remove the code (you'll have to anyways to get rid of the service engine light)- and you'll just have to hope that they don't do a visual check for the cat.

Have any of you with straight pipes ever got tickets for it? or is it not THAT loud?
Personally, I have a cutout- so I know what straight piped sounds like on these engines. It honestly not *that* loud, my buddy has an LS2 goat that's catless with Kooks long tubes and aftermarket exhaust, and his car is a good deal louder than mine- even with him having mufflers and me running through an open cutout.

However, I wouldn't really recommend straight pipe on a daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I drive with my cutout open often- but its nice not to have your ears ringing after a long drive on the highway (I drove 21 hours one day and 8 the next in it moving across country- and the cutout was closed 99% of the time)- and to be able to talk on the cell phone and to others in the car without all the intrusion of exhaust noise.

As far as getting a ticket- it is definitely possible; and no one can really guarantee you that you won't get pulled over for your exhaust being too loud. As I said, there are a lot of engines that are louder with straight pipe- but sound laws are so subjective that it depends on the area and cop. Back where I went to college, they had some stupid db-feet limit; but lots of people ran around daily with open header camaros and open cutout turbo cars all the time- but occasionally random people would get an exhaust ticket with just basic aftermarket mufflers (usually tacked onto reckless driving or racing because the cop was in a bad mood).

Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Well, CAI from cold air inductions will be here soon, and I just ordered the magnaflow catback system... only 626 on a best offer wholesaler site, so not too bad. Going to get her dyno tuned and probably put better plugs and wires in as well. I will have to wait until I get all my other stuff complete before I tune it tho, so itll be a month or so before i can

Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM

magnaflows on, sound great. def. notice a difference in the pedal too, very pleased!