Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

My attemp at a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My attemp at a CAI

Well I had today to think of a way to make a good CAI for the 3.9. I've tried several methods and the last one will hopefully do the trick.

I first tried what another member here suggested which is cut the end of the stock air box. More air would go through it instead of that restricted pipe.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...na/baby013.jpg

That did produce a better response but I wasn't too satisfied with it.

Then I added a HAI to see the difference if any. I put a cone filter at the end and it gave me a way better response. So I knew I had to add to that idea. Then I gutted out the inside of the stock air box so the cone would fit in the and see if the cone would go inside enough to be able to seal it. I added a 3" PVC pipe to the end of the MAF.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...na/baby011.jpg

I didn't have one of those rubber coupling at the time to join both the pvc pipe to the MAF. Since I was just going the Taco Bell and back to try it I decided to just use alot of electrical tape. Well the response was still better than a HAI with a cold engine. It response a heck of a lot better than stock.

BUT, the HAI isnt called that just because. I didnt take about 10 min going to the drive-thru and back when the car stuttered and gave me a "service traction control" dispay. After I got home and opened the hood the tape had slipped off because it got hot and the PVC pipe and MAF were just hanging just like in the second pic.

I'm going to get an adapter to join them thing together and probably one of those rubber roof things that go through the pipe to see if I can enclose it or any material for that matter. I have the whole week off from work. I'll try to measure the inside box for temp too to see if what tweaks I need to do. So far so good.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Default RE: My attemp at a CAI

I have done alot like you on my intake trying different set ups and that and the one thing that i learned is go with a K&N filter. they are amazing.they are worth the 50 bucks. i had a filter like yours before, the Power Adder series (i think that is what it is called) they k&n gave me better top end along with what i took to be more air flow because my engine became louder.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:27 AM
15 Year Member

I didn't know there was much of a difference in those kind of filters. If my setup work I'll be sure then to get a K&N to get the most out of it.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 PM

I sure hope you do a write up with what you used and how you put it all together for the rest of us 3.9L people after you get it all figured out. Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Here's one that I found,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...QQcmdZViewItem
Kinda the same idea, but with yours, your also pulling from the outside too

Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Assassin73

Here's one that I found,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...QQcmdZViewItem
Kinda the same idea, but with yours, your also pulling from the outside too
that is the same thing i started with but then i just built a heat shield for it. to me it works great. and looks very good.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
15 Year Member

Well the CAI so far is about 80% done. Ive got the filter inside using a rubber coupling and pvc from Home Depot. I still have to get it sealed up and check the temp. After 10 miles it was pretty cool inside but its also about 40 degrees outside. The power is definetly there. Way better response at just the slightest touch on the pedal and a deeper growl. The power is way more sensitive now. I'm also going to get a 0-60 vid to compare to the others at youtube. See if theres a slight difference. I'll try to get it done in a few days.

Having the week off gave my wife the strangest idead that it could be a good time to fix stuff around the house. Oh well, it was a good time to ask for those power toools i always wanted.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
15 Year Member

Well I tried out my CAI today and got some results. Before anything I still have to seal the CAI better and put the thermo in a different place.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...67_15_full.jpg

I did a hack job in sealing it with duck tabe around it and I dropped the thermometer right at the corner of the intake box where the fans air will still reach it. I drove about 10 miles, 80% highway and once I got home I quickly opened the hood and checked the thermometer. It read 97 degrees on a 78 degree day. A little too hot for me. The thing is that once I removed the cone filter it was cool to the touch and everything inside was cool to the touch. I'm thinking I need to place the thermometer in a different place, closer to the end of the cone instead of closer to the engine. Also seal it more carefully. But everything inside was relatively cool.

I then just threw the thermometer inside the open box, closed the hood. When I came back at about 5 min to check the thermometer said 125 degrees. So its sealing some of the air out I think.

The CAI is working great for me. It's better than what memeber TGABreu did which is just cutting of the end part. I did that and this is better.

I'll have a better response tommorow on this.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM

looks good
cant wait to see that vid