Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Muffler delete?

what would be the loudest muffler that could be put on thats barely legal?
Loudest would probably be straight pipe- even better would be a cutout up front. Legal is going to depend on your local police and laws. You need to contact them, and find out what the legal limit is (and if there is one- how they measure it). When we used to live out in the boonies, there was no sound restriction. People would drive around all day with open header big blocks, and no one would say anything. When we moved to a larger city, they had a specific db limit at a certain # of feet, and they always had at least 1 squad car on duty that had a db meter. People got dinged there all the time because it seemed like they liked to use the tickets as a source of revenue.

So its really going to be up to your local police and laws.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

if you do any highway driving you will have the worst headache ever

if you want loud here's what to do

leave your stock setup on there OR change it a bit, to make it slightly louder with magnaflows or flowmasters or even a thrush muffler

and then put a splitter right after the cat convertor (its kind of like a mechanical y-pipe that you can rig to a switch) so that when you want it loud all you have to do is hit a button and it closes off all the exhaust going through the regular exhaust and just blows it out the side without going through the mufflers

then you can have the best of both worlds

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i do alot of highway driving Josh... I'm not bothered by it.

on my set up, the worst part is between 60 and 65 mph... .under or over that is fine to me... thers just that rpm range at that many mph's and that much pull that just split your ears..... and its not that bad to me, just most people in my car don't like it when i run that speed.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I had the muffler delete on my 04 Stratus coupe(3.0L V6) and it sounded perfect. It was cheap to do and perfectly legal in Indiana. I say just try it. I have a feeling it won't sound the same as our 3.0 did, but what's the worst that can happen? You will have to have it put back on or put a different muffler in. let us know what you end up doing.

Editted for making statement PAST-tense! lol

Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM

OAC, what do you have for a motor in your ls? i had a lumina with a 3.1 and i had to do a muffler replacement. i had to drive for a week with a straight pipe til the parts store could get the muffler i wanted and i hated the sound of the straightpipe. way too loud and abnoxious inside and outside of the car. put a muffler oreven a glass packon, whatever type it is so you have some backpressure on the engine. you will get better power and mpg cuz that's what the engine was designed for. straight pipes are only better for power on the drag strip when you run WOT b/c the engine has to escape the exhaust as fast as possible.just cuz it's louder doesn't mean you have more power.with a muffler, you get more backpressure and scavenging at midrange rpm, which is where you run most of the time anyways.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM

drewski, that cleared up a tonnn for me. I will most likely get a flowmaster 40 series or what ever matches my model. Would you recomend getting new pipes too? Mine look like most used cars rust color.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
OAC

ORIGINAL: drewskie043

OAC, what do you have for a motor in your ls? i had a lumina with a 3.1 and i had to do a muffler replacement. i had to drive for a week with a straight pipe til the parts store could get the muffler i wanted and i hated the sound of the straight pipe. way too loud and abnoxious inside and outside of the car. put a muffler or even a glass pack on, whatever type it is so you have some backpressure on the engine. you will get better power and mpg cuz that's what the engine was designed for. straight pipes are only better for power on the drag strip when you run WOT b/c the engine has to escape the exhaust as fast as possible. just cuz it's louder doesn't mean you have more power. with a muffler, you get more backpressure and scavenging at midrange rpm, which is where you run most of the time anyways.
thanI actually wanted some one that has heard it before to tell me how it really will be. Would you recommend dual 44's or 40's?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

well initially i didn't know what was different from flowmaster's 44 and 40s so i went on their website and it turns out there isn't much of a difference between them in sound and performance. i would probably get the 40s, since they are a little cheaper. which ever one you choose, it will def sound better than nothing at all! happy shopping!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

Cut throat, if the rust on your pipes is mostly surface rust, just leave them. no need for new pipes. if there are any spots with heavy rust, rusted thru, or about to rust thru, time to get new pipes.