Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Mods put off due to an injury but more questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Default RE: Mods put off due to an injury but more questions.

Your definatley going to want to tune after the throttle body and rockers or your not gonna get near the gain you could be getting. And it was my understanding that rockers keep it open longer allowing more fuel to enter so mpg goes down.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 PM

More air opening, more fuel, more bang, more power. Therefore, to put out the same power, requires less throttle. If you can use the engine's compression to make a good bang under light load, you get better fuel economy... you just have to have it tuned right.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: lav74

I understand your point, but you're wanting to add bolt-ons, which requires manual work, when you can do less bolt-ons, a little tuning, and get the same performance, if not better, and more efficient.

I'm not knocking what you're saying, I'm just trying to get a point across that tuning is the most important aspect of modifying your 3800, and buying bolt-ons can only get you so far before you are wasting money on parts that tuning could easily get you with what you already have.

How far away are you from Montreal? I travel there often for my job, and would gladly meet up with you to do some in-car tuning of your Monte. All you need to do is fill my belly with food as payment. :-)

With $2000, this is what I would do if I wanted to maximize output from a stock L67:

Maintenance first:
fuel filter (WIX brand or NAPA gold)

FWI - $100 home made with K&N filter
Autolite 104 plugs - $20
180* t-stat - $15
ZZP 3" DP w/cat - $200 shipped or less
DP/Cat install and resonator removal and 3" to the gas tank - $100 or less, depending on where you go... it's basically unbolt one end, cut the other, and put the new piece in with a 3" end of pipe to fill in the remainder...
Front P-Log - $120
1.84 aluminum roller rockers - $400
ZZP PCM- $100 ?
ZZP Stg 2 ported TB - $350

If you ask me, the St2 2 ported TB is not worth the money for the gains, but you need a bigger TB to get better response, and take advantage of those rockers and Plogs, so spend it there, or on a N* setup, you'll still be spending $$$.

So far, this totals ~$1400. If you want to really add some more kick, add a ported M90 to that list and a 3.25" pulley, and you'll be still under $2000, and in good shape to be in the mid 13 second territory, with a possible chance at lower 13s on slicks or drag radials. I would say you would be somewhere in the 250-275whp range. Thatrange is wide, I know, but tuning is where you get closer to the 275whp. :-) Good bang for the buck if you ask me from 193whp in stock form.

Anywho, let me know how far you would be willing to drive to squeak out more power, and better fuel efficiency out of your car. There are plenty of 3800 members across the country who would be willing to help out a fellow enthusiast... you only need ask, and on different boards too. :-)
I'm about 6+ hours away. Since I have so much time on my hands I'll do some searching to find out where there may be a qualified tuner around here. I will however keep this list as a plan of attack to modding the Monte. I'm assuming that I can do everything listed except the rockers and Throttle body with out worrying about a tune (How about the smaller pulley?). I figure I would do everthing that I could which will not require tuning ASAP then worry about the rest once I find a good tuner.

Well after some heavy net surfingand making quitea few calls I found someone. He has lots of experiance with V8's but feels he would have no problem assiting me. I sent him the list you made above and he said he will get back to me. It sounds like his shop installs as well as tunes and he has a dyno (I get a free hour if he installs parts) that being said which parts do you recommend I install and which should I have him do and back to my original question of which parts can I install without worrying about a tune. I would like to start putting in that stuff while I'm laid up then once I can drive I'll take it to his shop to have him do his magic. Lastly what is the smallest pully you recommend without going to a ported M90 and should I wait for him to do his tunebefore I go to it? I'm not sure If I want to tear apart my supercharger yet.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your leg.
IMO, Keep the resonater. Almost no power gain, and the cabin howl from removing it to me isn't worth the minute power gain.
Everything else sounds good. Definately a 3" downpipe, and plog. The stainless makes things run cooler, along with the ceramic coatings, thus helping reduce spark knock, thus allowing a smaller pulley. The larger TB will add throttle response. I'm leaning towards a cam instead of the rockers. Double or more the HP, and both aren't recommended. Again, it breaths easier, making it run cooler, and again allowing for a smaller pulley. Maybe a little more work, but That's what I'm going for, I think.
Other than the N'star TB , I've opted for the best available (stainless, coated, etc), as the labor to install these parts is the same.
Also, if you do a fenderwell CAI, make sure you build a heat shield and lid, and use a smooth elbow. Does the Wizaired have a smooth elbow?
A tune would be a GOOD thing, also.
Good luck to you on your mods.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Sorry to hear about your leg.
IMO, Keep the resonater. Almost no power gain, and the cabin howl from removing it to me isn't worth the minute power gain.
Everything else sounds good. Definately a 3" downpipe, and plog. The stainless makes things run cooler, along with the ceramic coatings, thus helping reduce spark knock, thus allowing a smaller pulley. The larger TB will add throttle response. I'm leaning towards a cam instead of the rockers. Double or more the HP, and both aren't recommended. Again, it breaths easier, making it run cooler, and again allowing for a smaller pulley. Maybe a little more work, but That's what I'm going for, I think.
Other than the N'star TB , I've opted for the best available (stainless, coated, etc), as the labor to install these parts is the same.
Also, if you do a fenderwell CAI, make sure you build a heat shield and lid, and use a smooth elbow. Does the Wizaired have a smooth elbow?
A tune would be a GOOD thing, also.
Good luck to you on your mods.

Have you ridden in a Monte with the resonator removed or did you do it and decide it was to much noise? I would like someone who has actually heard how load it is to chime in. If I pull it I can allways put it back.

Hmm cam or rockers decisions decisions. Since it's on the second round of mods I have time to do more research.

As far as the exhaust parts I am going stainless and yes I'll spring for the ceramic coating. From what I've seen Wizaired is smooth inside the tube.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 PM

Stock mufflers, no resonator is still veryquiet. though my opinion is a little biased considering what I run.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Hey Sub:

Take it easy and get yourself well and than you can do what ever you want. If you read that there is something simple you can do ... you are likely to come-off the couch and get under the hood and try it.

I just had Knee surgery. They told me not to carry anything and take it easy on it for 21 days. I feel guilty watching the groceries get carried inside while I'm siting in a chair feeling like I could help, but the deal is you have to let things heal before you do anything that might set you back and I know you DON'T want that.

I hope your legs heals-up nice and you get back to 100% after your time-out. Take care of yourself. Take care of the car after you get back in shape to answer all bells!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: RickCoMatic

Hey Sub:

Take it easy and get yourself well and than you can do what ever you want. If you read that there is something simple you can do ... you are likely to come-off the couch and get under the hood and try it.

I just had Knee surgery. They told me not to carry anything and take it easy on it for 21 days. I feel guilty watching the groceries get carried inside while I'm siting in a chair feeling like I could help, but the deal is you have to let things heal before you do anything that might set you back and I know you DON'T want that.

I hope your legs heals-up nice and you get back to 100% after your time-out. Take care of yourself. Take care of the car after you get back in shape to answer all bells!
Thanks for the concern. I don't plan on ordering anyting until I get a definate date I can walk from my doctor. Once he gives me a date I'll start ordering parts about 2 weeks in advance. I'm planning to do everything on my list except the Throttle body and Rockers (Or Cam) first then I'll run her for ahwile and decide If I want to crack open the engine.

Answer all bells! Boy haven't heard that term in awhile.