Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Mods put off due to an injury but more questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Default Mods put off due to an injury but more questions.

Well it looks like I will need to wait awhile to do my mods because I broke my right leg (3 plates and 15 screw later I'm out of the hospital) am
non-weight bearing and can not drive until mid June. What this does do is give me the opportunity to ask more questions.

My only issue is I'm worried about isknock and codes being thrown. I'm willing to take some chances but since I don't know anyone who tunes here in Maine and I don't have any interest in doing it myself. I only want to do the mods which are tried and true that do not require manual tuning.

After several posts and lots of great advice here are my plans with some questions.

1st round:
Down pipe w/cat. Should I go 2.5" or 3"? I planned on a 3" but is it worth the extra cost?
Resonator delete
Wizaid CAI
ZZP 1.0 PCM (W/0420 code delete)
180 t-stat
Plugs

2nd round:
Smaller SC pulley
PLog front manifold
Throttle body (Either stage 2 or Northstar). What will this mod do to my MPG?
Rockers.

Given what I stated above about tuning what if any of the above mods should I shy away from.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Default RE: Mods put off due to an injury but more questions.

Hi `J.Q.,
Sorry to read your post about your broken leg : (
Sure hope that you had medical insurance.
How did you break `it ?
I can furnish you a site that tell you how to `Mod a Wheel chair : )
I'm sure our member's that have knowledge on your posted questions
will give you some `help.
Wish you a fast recovery, and back on the roads again in
your AwesomeMonte Carlo SS.
Good Luck, and Heal fast,
`Space

Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Broke it snowmobiling. I actually did it on Easter but was hoping to still get some work done on the Monte. I'm quickly finding out I can't do anything except sit on the couch and either watch TV or surf the web.I crested a small knoll in an area I wasn't familiar with and it dropped 5 feet into a 2 foot gully. The sled stopped I didn't on the way over the handle bars I caught my right leg on the bars and it broke the shin bone in quite a few places. Two required surgery to repair. The first break severed the shin bone about 2 inches below the knee joint and the second break extends from the center of the knee joint down about 4 inches and exits in the front of the shin. It was one of the worst break the doctor had seen.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM

You will have to tune for the larger throttle body. The rockers will make your gas mileage go down.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

You will have to tune for the larger throttle body. The rockers will make your gas mileage go down.
Thanks for the info I'll be scratching those two off my list. I'm getting lazy in my old age and only want to bolt the stuff on then turn the key and go.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

3" cat is too much for asc 3800 unless you want ot go for the 400 hp, which it odesn't sound like you want to. 2.5" all the way back is the best way to go there. as for everything else, sounds good

Old 04-16-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

3" cat is too much for asc 3800 unless you want ot go for the 400 hp, which it odesn't sound like you want to. 2.5" all the way back is the best way to go there. as for everything else, sounds good
Thanks Cowboy6622 That will also save me some cash. I'm not shooting for anything like that. I just want tograba little more HP and Torque along with increasing myMPG so that I have an edge.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 PM

Sorry cowboy... false information.

A stock SC 3800 can trulybenefit from a 3" DP, 3" cat, no res, no u-bend, and 3" to the gas tank. The benefits get even greater once you drop down to a 3.4 pulley, and even more so when you keep modding further down the rabbit hole.

Point is, with a stock DP or even 2.5" DP, there's still too much choke, and heat being left behind, which causes boost to stack up, and results in knock.

If you ask me, you're on the right path for mods... I am copying your list, with a few updates:
1st round:
3" Down pipe w/cat. Resonator ad u-benddelete all in one (ZZP has the 3" DP/Cat combo).
Wizaid CAI
180 t-stat
Autolite 104 Plugs
3.4" pulley (get the modular with the hub, in case you want to go further down the modding path later on, and make pulley swaps quick)

2nd round:
PLog front manifold
Throttle body (Either stage 2 or Northstar).
Rockers.

For your 2nd round.... if you do rockers, then do the front P-log at the same time.... you will notice the gain afterwards. If you do the stage 2 TB, that's good enough for the rockers and p-log setup, and you can get by with the ZZP 1.0 our of the box tune.

Rockers will not hurt your gas mileage... only a heavy foot can do that. If you get an in-car tune with a rocker setup, you can actually IMPROVE your gas mileage significantly. I know of a member of my local club who played with a tuner after he had put a cam in his car. It is the XP cam. He was able to squeak 40mpg on a 3.2" pulley and 87 octane. 87 OCTANE! That just goes to show you how powerful a tuner can be. Without the right tune, he'd be sitting in 25mpg land, and less power, and having to run 91 octane to stay out of the knock zone.

So, with that being said, what's your budget this year on engine performance mods?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: lav74

Sorry cowboy... false information.

A stock SC 3800 can trulybenefit from a 3" DP, 3" cat, no res, no u-bend, and 3" to the gas tank. The benefits get even greater once you drop down to a 3.4 pulley, and even more so when you keep modding further down the rabbit hole.

Point is, with a stock DP or even 2.5" DP, there's still too much choke, and heat being left behind, which causes boost to stack up, and results in knock.

If you ask me, you're on the right path for mods... I am copying your list, with a few updates:
1st round:
3" Down pipe w/cat. Resonator ad u-benddelete all in one (ZZP has the 3" DP/Cat combo).
Wizaid CAI
180 t-stat
Autolite 104 Plugs
3.4" pulley (get the modular with the hub, in case you want to go further down the modding path later on, and make pulley swaps quick)

2nd round:
PLog front manifold
Throttle body (Either stage 2 or Northstar).
Rockers.

For your 2nd round.... if you do rockers, then do the front P-log at the same time.... you will notice the gain afterwards. If you do the stage 2 TB, that's good enough for the rockers and p-log setup, and you can get by with the ZZP 1.0 our of the box tune.

Rockers will not hurt your gas mileage... only a heavy foot can do that. If you get an in-car tune with a rocker setup, you can actually IMPROVE your gas mileage significantly. I know of a member of my local club who played with a tuner after he had put a cam in his car. It is the XP cam. He was able to squeak 40mpg on a 3.2" pulley and 87 octane. 87 OCTANE! That just goes to show you how powerful a tuner can be. Without the right tune, he'd be sitting in 25mpg land, and less power, and having to run 91 octane to stay out of the knock zone.

So, with that being said, what's your budget this year on engine performance mods?
Don't really have one but If I were to throw out a number I figure I'll havearound $2000 to spend between now and the end of the year. By the time I'm back up and walking (Mid June)I'll have around $700 to $900.Just keep in mind my original post, what my plans are and the fact that I don't want to mess with tuning.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:54 PM

I understand your point, but you're wanting to add bolt-ons, which requires manual work, when you can do less bolt-ons, a little tuning, and get the same performance, if not better, and more efficient.

I'm not knocking what you're saying, I'm just trying to get a point across that tuning is the most important aspect of modifying your 3800, and buying bolt-ons can only get you so far before you are wasting money on parts that tuning could easily get you with what you already have.

How far away are you from Montreal? I travel there often for my job, and would gladly meet up with you to do some in-car tuning of your Monte. All you need to do is fill my belly with food as payment. :-)

With $2000, this is what I would do if I wanted to maximize output from a stock L67:

Maintenance first:
fuel filter (WIX brand or NAPA gold)

FWI - $100 home made with K&N filter
Autolite 104 plugs - $20
180* t-stat - $15
ZZP 3" DP w/cat - $200 shipped or less
DP/Cat install and resonator removal and 3" to the gas tank - $100 or less, depending on where you go... it's basically unbolt one end, cut the other, and put the new piece in with a 3" end of pipe to fill in the remainder...
Front P-Log - $120
1.84 aluminum roller rockers - $400
ZZP PCM- $100 ?
ZZP Stg 2 ported TB - $350

If you ask me, the St2 2 ported TB is not worth the money for the gains, but you need a bigger TB to get better response, and take advantage of those rockers and Plogs, so spend it there, or on a N* setup, you'll still be spending $$$.

So far, this totals ~$1400. If you want to really add some more kick, add a ported M90 to that list and a 3.25" pulley, and you'll be still under $2000, and in good shape to be in the mid 13 second territory, with a possible chance at lower 13s on slicks or drag radials. I would say you would be somewhere in the 250-275whp range. Thatrange is wide, I know, but tuning is where you get closer to the 275whp. :-) Good bang for the buck if you ask me from 193whp in stock form.

Anywho, let me know how far you would be willing to drive to squeak out more power, and better fuel efficiency out of your car. There are plenty of 3800 members across the country who would be willing to help out a fellow enthusiast... you only need ask, and on different boards too. :-)

Quick Reply: Mods put off due to an injury but more questions.