Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow Cat. FAILED EMMISSIONS ,

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I think clearing the code (with a scan tool) would be quicker. Otherwise you're going to have to wait for the code to clear itself (could take several days) or if the battery is disconnected have to perform up to 5 drive cycles to get the monitor to flag itself as ready.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 07-23-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: correct wording for explanation simplification
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
MJC this is off topic but did you ever make that body kit for your front end? That would be a very marketable kit.
It's about half done, I got super sick for 3-4 months and my Heath is not the best right now. I have a huge back issue right now that has me sidelined. 4 herniated disks in my lower lumbar. And that's the good part ! My knee is failing agin so I just can't do much right now, I have a "Fake" knee , it's called a "TKR" (Total Knee Replacement) I've had 4 of them in one leg so far and for some god forsaken reason it wont heal correctly. I thought it was all good, but issues keep comming up.. So, not done yet, BUT it will get done one way or the other, it's a goal of mine to finish the front, and do the sides and rear, it will and up like no other for sure. .. Sucks I can't finish it right now...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Personally, I think clearing the code (with a scan tool) would be quicker.
It would be quicker, but then you don't know if you resolved the problem (have to wait for the code to either pop or not pop again). If you go through and drive the car a couple of days to see if the code clears itself, you then know the situation has been solved (or have better confirmation it's been solved).

My wife's Mustang had an issue with pin holes on the filler neck causing an evap code. I corrected the problem, about 2-3 days of regular driving, the car cleared the code itself. At that point, I did not worry about the problem any further.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM

I PROBLY would not have attempted to clear the code now, but I had already disconnected the battery overnight, so, it's a lil to late to not clear the code as of now. I am running the car for a bit and driving to see if the codes return. I'll post an update tonight, and tomorrow my wife takes it back to EMMISSIONS to see if it passes or not. If it does, it will be good for another 2-3 years.. Got my fingers crossed ...Mjclemm.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MJClemm
I am running the car for a bit and driving to see if the codes return. I'll post an update tonight, and tomorrow my wife takes it back to EMMISSIONS to see if it passes or not. If it does, it will be good for another 2-3 years.. Got my fingers crossed ...Mjclemm.
Be sure to run the vehicle through several drive cycles (as outlined in the link below) to insure your monitors are in ready state:

General Motors Driving Cycle

As stated in #7 you may have to run at least 5 cycles to set the catalyst monitor to ready state.

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 AM

i ran the car thru 10`15 cycles. All codes are clear still no CEL. I install the Spark Plug anti foulers and its working for now. My wife takes it in tomorrow for emmissions. Illl et ya all know what the outcome is. If it does fail again, Im just gonna order the PCM from ZZP, I wanted to get it anyway, so this just speeds up the process...lol.... See ya tomorrow.... Mjclemm....

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Think positive - it will pass! I replaced my DP/Cat about a year ago and (so far) haven't had any CEL problems. Hopefully it doesn't set one in another 6 months. If it does though I have my anti-foulers prepped and ready to go. Testing around here is every other year and I just went through it last April so I have some time before having to worry about it. Good luck...and think positive!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

So far this is sounding good!!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM

i think it is just wiered i have a high flow cats on my mustang. as well as on my monte due to the bad miss fire that i had from the coils. i didnt fail emissions when i was in va but now i am fl. i never new that our monte's were that tempermental for some minor changes to the exaughst?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's just how restrictive our cats are stock that is the problem. Once they start flowing better the car thinks they aren't working right.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat. FAILED EMMISSIONS ,