Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Just a Quick Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Just a Quick Exhaust Question

Does anyone thing $125 is too much to have a Straight Pipe welded in in place of my Resonator? Or is that a Good Deal?
I haven't had to do anything to an Exhaust for 5 cars now so I'm a little behind the Price times!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds a tad expensive to me...

Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Does anyone thing $125 is too much to have a Straight Pipe welded in in place of my Resonator? Or is that a Good Deal?
I haven't had to do anything to an Exhaust for 5 cars now so I'm a little behind the Price times!
IMO JC...
That's a ripoff... I had mine done for a 12 pack of mountain dew and $50.00.... (I volunteered the Mountain dews after the work was done)

I would find another shop.. there wanting to gouge you with that price.

If you could come to Michigan...
I could definitely hook you up!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Jc, mine was $72 after tax at my local exhaust shop. Find a smaller shop and they will give you a better deal.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member

I kind of figure that Dave. It was a Midas shop. The Guy talked to me like I had NO CLUE about cars even after I NICELY explained to him that I had been working on cars since before he was a Sperm. I wasn't going back to him after that. But I thought I would ask here cause i know there are members who have more recent experience than I. And this winter is going to make the thing fall apart. since the last Salting of the roads here i now have exhaust smoke and fumes coming from under the car.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the res removed and straight piped on the wife's Impala (same set up as our Montes). The mistake I made was taking it to a shop I thought I had an "in" (I was unaware the ownership had changed hands). It cost $90 (which I thought was a bit high for the job). I later found a couple of shops that would have done the job for about $70.

And I had this done on the wife's Imp due to the res rotting out.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 AM
1 Year Member

I kind of figure that Dave. It was a Midas shop. The Guy talked to me like I had NO CLUE about cars even after I NICELY explained to him that I had been working on cars since before he was a Sperm. I wasn't going back to him after that. But I thought I would ask here cause i know there are members who have more recent experience than I. And this winter is going to make the thing fall apart. since the last Salting of the roads here i now have exhaust smoke and fumes coming from under the car.
I don't like when people talk down to me about stuff even if I don't know a thing about It. I'm a smart guy, I pick things up real quick haha. I bet that threw you for a loop! Haha. Coming out from underneath that is. I am very satisfied with my resonator delete and the sound coming out the pipes. Now if I could only get rid of that "whirr" sound from the engine.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep on looking. I'm not gonna spend more than I have to. As I've said before, I have to get Mine Done by April for 2 reasons. Jersey inspection! And the Mrs's LEXUS, although in Runs much better than my Monte, doesn't look as Pretty. I promised her, and myself, that I would work on that this year. I already replace a mirror that some Fine NJ driver thought that she didn't really need. I have to replace a door and the Hood too. And then have the car repainted. I want time keep that promise!
The other thing to keep in mind is that I am in NJ and only 10 miles from NYC. So my cost would be a little higher than in Ohio or Washington. But I agree, $125 does seem a bit STEEP to me!!!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep on looking. I'm not gonna spend more than I have to. As I've said before, I have to get Mine Done by April for 2 reasons. Jersey inspection! And the Mrs's LEXUS, although in Runs much better than my Monte, doesn't look as Pretty. I promised her, and myself, that I would work on that this year. I already replace a mirror that some Fine NJ driver thought that she didn't really need. I have to replace a door and the Hood too. And then have the car repainted. I want time keep that promise!
The other thing to keep in mind is that I am in NJ and only 10 miles from NYC. So my cost would be a little higher than in Ohio or Washington. But I agree, $125 does seem a bit STEEP to me!!!!!
You can always do what the hill billys round here do! (I dont in anyway sugest this but its funny as heck!) Hook up a pair of jumper cable to the power box for you're house. One end to the exhaust metal and the other to a metal rod and ark weld it in yourself! Hahahha seriously saw that happening one day! But look for a muffler shop or the like. Just don't pay over $100.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member

See now that sounds a little more reasonable. Thanks for the advice David!