Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Default Intake Gaskets

I remember reading some time ago that Fel-Pro were the best choice for intake gaskets. There was also a P/N included. Are there different sets available from Fel-Pro? If so, then which would you all recommend.
Second, a friend recommended replacing a "plastic elbow" or maybe nipple... (can't remember) when I replace the gaskets... this make any sense to anyone? And is it included with the set or seperate order.
Last, I have been told to use ATF to chase the antifreeze, that always spills, into the oil pan... any credibility to that?
Alright, that's it from me.
Thanks. and happy motoring.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Default RE: Intake Gaskets

hmm well never heard that some intake gaskets are better than others...as for the plastic elbow i am not sure what elbow ur friend is talkin about...finally what is ATF?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Why don't you list what engine this is for- there are a lot of possible engines in cars on here...

For the L67, I like the GM aluminum intake gaskets myself- but if you have a 3500, or 5.3L- its obviously not gonna work- you know?

The 3800s have plastic elbows that are very prone to breakage when removing them. I highly reccomend buying new ones (autozone usually sells them in the help aisle, also the dealer carries them) if you have a 3800.

finally what is ATF?
auto tranny fluid

I surely don't think I'd put ATF in with the engine oil- that sounds like a bad idea. If you drain the coolant first, the coolant spillage should be very minimal- and if you get any coolant down in the oil, then you should open the drain plug and flush fresh oil through.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM

auto tranny fluid
hmm thats what i thought he meant...dont put tranny fluid in anythin but ur tranny.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

is it a 3.4 or a 3.8

felpro is the way to go, they have the improved gaskets out there for all the gm engines, the 3.8's however did not have the problem that all the other engines had, so they never made them for the 3.8, the 3.8 l just has problems with the plastic intake cracking, so dorman makes an intire intake manifold with gaskets

but the part # for the 3.4l kit is MS98003T should be around $100
they also make a complete head set with the improved intake manifolds in it, that part # is
HST9071PT1 i dont know what the price in the states is on that, but i would guess around $250

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 PM

My bad.
It is a 2003 SS 3.8
I thought the ATF thing sounded a bit fishy, but there may have been some benefit that I had never herd of for using it.
I'll look into the better intake, as far I I know the stock one has no cracks and I just had it fogged at the dealer.
Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 AM

Well guys i just thought id put in my two cents here. First Fel-Pro makes a verry good gasket set and they are usually updated sets, but gm also sells the same and I personally think that they are a little better quality, but buy what you could afford at the time. Second I have seen many 3800's with intake gasket leaks, the issue was caused by the gasket material that GM oringnally used and the difference in the thremal expanding and contractiin differences between the plastic and aluminum. Although it is true that the 3800's are less prone to these kinds of leaks. Now on to your queston about ATF in the oil pan, if you were to have a coolant soaked engine, meaning if the coolant had mixed into the oil, and assuming that no other mechanical issues were present, ATF would actually hepl to clean out all the coolant. This is because ATF has much better cleaning agents in it than engine oil. Now what your friend may have neglected to mention is that you should only do this and run your engine for about 10 mins and then drain your oil and fill it with fresh oil and a new filter.And you should always changed your engine oil after a intake gasket change because even though you may drain your cooling system some will still get into the oil pan. Hope this clears some things up for you.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yours is a 3.8, so it doesn't have the issues that the other engines do, BUT it still does have an issue with the manifold itself, so dorman made a problem solver kit for it, it comes with bolts and gaskets, and the intake manifold its self

the part # is 615-180

Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM

I have replaced intake gaskets on other engines (many) before. But there always seems to be an engine specific type of encounter when dealing with one new to me. As a heavy equipment mech, and seeing the switch from regular hydraulic fluids to atf in much of the equipment I deal with(because of the cleaning agents as well as less expansion, wider temp operating temperatures etc) I thought it a good idea to ask why someone would recommend it. Question answered... Thank you.

The car has just a touch over 100k on it, so I was planning to switch out of DexTron while there.