Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

The Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Default The Intake Gaskets

Well guys and gals,I have been hit with the intake blues...the alternator gave out on wednesday and killed the battery on the `97LS. Wifey had it pushed to a parking lot as it died in the street. I don`t have the time to do the work right away as I`m doing overtime at the airport so i get it towed to the GM folks and have them replace the 2 items and flush the coolant and replace the thermostat. Get a call that the intakes are leaking. Go down and take a look and they are pointing at what I think is sludge in the radiator. Small chunks of crap in the reservoir. That`s why i want it flushed. They are also showing oil leaks at the base of the intake at the heads. So there it is. Probably lookin at 1200 bucks but it`s a used car and once it`s done maybe i don`t have ta worry about it anymore. They reccomended anEngine flush too. They said there was no water in the engine oil and I`ve never seen any so I ask them why the flush. Answer...we just recommend it. I ask will you warrenty the engine for an oil related failure due to a clogged oil screen or bearing failure? No sir,sorry. I say no flushy. Hell,I change oil too often for that. So, more on this,trust me....TC all.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Default RE: The Intake Gaskets

keep us posted, sorry to ehar this.
that is the one thing i really dont need right now on mine. If it happens i think it will be time to trade her in on something diffrent. It is cheaper then the 1200.00 up front.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM

Well Mick, I look at it like this....the car only has 90k on it and is in good shape. It`s the wifey`s car and she loves it. It actually drives a little better than my `98 does and all the other required maint. has been done to her so I might as well keep her. Got a few bucks in her so we`ll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Love these cars!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Very wise choice to decline the engine flush. If you change your oil regularly there is no need for it. They were just gonna flush some money from your wallet!! I work in the auto repair business and I despise individuals who sell their customers uneeded repairs & services.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM

Hi Steve....yeah I`ve been in aircraft maint for over 30 years and I just don`t get the flush thing at all. Just as soon as they popped that one on me I told `em. The mech working on it agreed with me but he`s working at the shop. lol. I`ll keep everyone posted on this deal....great site as always and keep up the good posts. Pics when I can figure it out........lol.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: blazerman3
Love these cars!
this is why i have owned 8 of them lol

Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM

Man I wish you lived near me! I have a great friend who is a state certified mechanic (not working for a shop, but on his own) and he charges $25/hr labor and no mark-up on the parts. On my Monte, we replaced all four rotors/all pads, upper/lower intakes/water pump/thermostat/serp belt/spark plugs and wires/and he cleaned the lower intake SO well that it lookes brand new. Add a 1/3 can of Sea Foam to the crankcase and I got out of his garage with $530 for everything. I bought 4 tires for $450, so my total cost to bring my car back to awesome operating condition for $980. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM

Man,I wish I did too at those rates! Well I went by there today to see how it was going and they still had not gotten to it as they were 2 mechs short for being sick. Oh well, good fortune comes to those who wait.....lol...will keep everyone posted on this one. Wifey sure is bugging me about her car...lol!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM

I think a dealership around here charge 4 hrs labor for intakes...not sure though. HOPEFULLY the lower intake isn't warped and the heads are okay.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Update: Got the car today....total bill was 1700 for the towing charge,intake gaskets,coolant flush. new alternator and a new battery. So it`s all done and all the maint.is now up to date. Drove it home ta check it out and had to flush the engine compartment out to get rid of all the spillage of the old coolant and put the windshield wipers back ahead of the stops instead of behind them...lol...but it runs great,I think even a little bit better throttle response now. The bill is in the glovebox so I`ll give a breakdown of the charges whenCindy brings the car home. Got to drive mine home today!

Quick Reply: The Intake Gaskets