Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dexcool and Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Default Dexcool and Intake Gaskets

Hey, Just stumbled on this and thought it would make good reading. What an eye opener....the website is: www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/Forwarddexcool2007.php....lots of interesting info here. Enjoy!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Dexcool and Intake Gaskets

Saw a similar article. Unbelievable.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Dexcool and Intake Gaskets

Link didn't work for me so my statement is made with great ignorance.[8D]

I saw a news report today about the class action lawsuite against GM inregards to dexcool, and that they are actually paying. Although everyone else probably knows about it, it was news to me somehow.

Anyway, incase anyone cares here's the scoop on the payouts:
There are certain models under these classifications, but I beileve if you have one you'd know it (Buick, Chevy, GMC, Pontiac, Olds).
Model years 1995-2003
Equipped with 3.1-liter or 3.4-liter V6 engine, manufactured before April 10, 2003 with a nylon/silicone lower intake manifold gasket.

Model years 1995-2004
Equipped with 3.8-liter V6 engine (internal GM engine designation RPO L36)

Model years 1995-2000
Equipped with 4.3-liter V6 engine

[*] For a Covered Repair made within five years after initial vehicle delivery:
You are eligible to be reimbursed the documented amount you paid out-of-pocket up to $400, if you were not previously fully reimbursed.

However, if you can document that the Covered Repair required you to pay over $1,500 to address an internal coolant leak, your reimbursement level may be different. If so, you can elect to request reimbursement of 40% of the amount you paid out-of-pocket up to $800, if you were not previously fully reimbursed.

(An internal coolant leak means that coolant leaked from one vehicle component into another component. Whereas an external coolant leak means that coolant leaked from inside a vehicle component to the exterior of the vehicle.)[*] For a Covered Repair made in the sixth year after initial vehicle delivery:
You are eligible to be reimbursed the documented amount you paid out-of-pocket up to $100, if you were not previously fully reimbursed.[*]For a Covered Repair made in the seventh year after initial vehicle delivery:
You are eligible to be reimbursed the documented amount you paid out-of-pocket up to $50, if you were not previously fully reimbursed.[/ol] If you paid for more than one Covered Repair (whether on the same vehicle or on different vehicles included in the proposed settlement), you may make a separate claim for each repair.