Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

I need help on muffulers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Default I need help on muffulers

Hello, I just bought my 07 monte carlo lta few months ago and am thinking about putting dual exhaust on it but i am not sure what kind to get. So far I have found a magnaflow kit. If anyone could give me some input on this issue it would be very helpfull. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: I need help on muffulers

If hte 07 Exhaust works like the 03 (keep in mind, different body styles and completly different engines), then the exhaust from the front cylinders goes over the top of the engine and joins with the rear, then comes downteh back of the engine nad down the center of the car where it splits... not a true dual exhaust. If what you mean is dual outlets, then it's a different story.. but you're looking at a lot of money and work to make that car a true dual exhaust if it is like my car (but your 07 could be diffferent).

Magnaflow has a good muffler for that V8... but the problem alot of guys hate about that car is that you really notice the change in the exhaust note when the engine cuts back to 4 cylinders. You may want ot look at getting a tuner and taking that mode out while you are working on the car so it will sound better cruising down the highway.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Has anyone used this exhaust system on there 07 monte lt? Just wondering how it preforms?
http://www.lmperformance.com/18290/11.html

Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Magnaflow's sound good on these cars to me.... look on YouTube to see how it sounds..

If by performance you mean how much does it pick up in hp, then you're in the wrong thread. Some exhaust systems may advertise to pick up the most hp on your car... maybe by 1 hp (you can feeel it between 99-103 mph). All exhaust systems pick about the smae hp... and I can't even feel the difference myself. I think the difference people feel is in their head... we humans associate loud carswith being fast.. and quite frankly, I've had a cat back on and more recently had the two rear mufflers cut off... I've never felt a bit of difference in the speed of the car. So pick hte exhaust system that sounds the best, not the one that pick you up the most hp (like I did).

Also, I have to recommmend against getting a cat-back at all. They are RIP-OFFS!!!! Go by a muffler shop, tell them which muffler you want, and tell them you want 2.25" stainless steal pipe from teh catalytic converter back... with labor and parts you'll probably come out for about half the price of that cat-back system pictured there. Tehre is another thread in this very section whereI discuss this in more detail called "W boy exhaust on my 07"... check it out.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Hey Cowboy6622 i think i am goin to take your advice and just get the muffulers and let an exhaust shoprun the pipe for me. I am thinking about getting some flowmasters but i don't know what kind would sound the best on my 3.5 liter. Can anyone give me some suggestions. I know that whatever i get that it not goin to sound like a v8 but i want something this is goin to sound the best for what i've got. Thank you for your input.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM

Well, I have the magnaflow kit installed on my 2006 3.9 liter, and i love it. it's not too loud at low throttle, doesn't sound ricey, but gives a nice throaty growl when you step on it. One note though, i put a short ram intake on briefly after the exhaust, and it made the sound much better. With a stock airbox on, it does seem a bit muted.