Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Hypertech Programmer or K&N Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM

I've heard bad things about K&N now. Someone says it's not a fully enclosed air box so in warm weather it serves more or less as a Hot Air Intake which can hurt performance and fuel efficiency.
Same thing goes for the K&N as the wizair to a point; just because its a big name brand with lots of advertising, doesn't mean its the best.

The K&N box only has the sides and bottom- the top is open (an attempt to make it easier to install and change the filter). They try to seal the open edges to the hood and such with a rubber strip, but its not great. Doesn't matter if its hot outside or not- the radiator fan wash is blowing over a 200* radiator, and your exhaust crossover pipe is a couple inches away and a few hundred degrees as well- so its always hot under the hood. By beefing up the insulating strip and making it better follow the body, we cut over 10*F off the IATs on my buddy's K&N intake on his GTO.

The wizair seals the top off with a solid piece, so the only rubber sealing surface is in the corner by the headlight and fender, and its a little tighter fit there. The wizair also has more insulation on the box, for less heak leakage through the walls.

That guy said to go with Wizair because they're cheaper, and fully enclosed. I've just heard that K&N sounds the best, gives your car that better tone.
I don't see why they would sound that much different, the wizair usually comes with a K&N filter- so its still a big K&N cone on an intake tube, only difference is the box its in; I guess the wizair is a pinch quieter, but not by much. Only thing louder than those two is an open cone in the engine bay.