Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

gutted out intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Default RE: gutted out intake

The Ubend is my next mod...

Are you having one fabricated or did you get the ZZP or other part?

Old 05-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Can someone post some pictures and posibly outline the procedure to do this.
I am thinking this is something I want to to do as well.
Which filter should you buy once this is done?
GWN

Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM

Man, I knew I should have taken pics.......

The hardest part of the entire process was measure ten times cut once. Forget the measure twice cut once rule.. lol

It really was pretty simple, but then of course I had a RotoZip tool, which made it as simple as it was.

Not having any pictures I'll give it a shot explaining what I did.

The box comes apart in three parts, #1 front, holds the filter in place, once unclipped as you would when changing the filter should lift out of the bottom main section. The other main section come apart in two more parts, I think there are two screws/bolts holding them together.

First things first, the air box has to come completely out of the car. If I remember correctly, I removed the entire tube running from the box to the TB, make sure you remove the airflow sensor attached to the tube and secure it out of the way. Once the tube is out of the way remove the front section of the box that holds the filter in place. The air box, if I remember is not bolted down at all, but I am pretty sure I removed the cross brace to get better access to it. The PCM is located at the bottom of the air box, gently move it out of the way. Before you remove the air box take a magic marker and draw an outline on the air box of the opening right behind the headlight that will be cut to maximize airflow into the box. The box has dowel pins at the bottom that fit into holes of the fender well area that hold it place and should just pull up and out of the engine compartment. I remember having to use a little force to pull it away from the fender well.

Once you have the box out, pull apart all three sections.

First cuts, get rid of the tube connecting the two main sections. (Note: I believe the tube is connected to the plastic of the outline you drew on the box right behind the headlight. Remember, measure ten times, cut once. After the tube is gone, I moved on to clearing out the plastic in between the two main parts. If I remember correctly, I left about a 1/2" all the way around so that it would leave enough plastic to make a seal.

The last thing I did was drill holes in every single square at the bottom of the box to make it easy to clear water or small debris from the box. So far, moisture has not been a problem and I see no evidence of water getting into the air box.

Don't have the time or energy to do it your self? I can be bought..

Forgot to add, I used the stock drop in type K&N filter...

Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Well I was thinking ofgetting one fabricated, but I'm not too sure how good my local shop is at fabricating parts, so I think I'll just order the ZZP part and wait a little longer.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:21 PM

ZZP Part???

Which one??

Old 05-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Old 05-04-2006, 08:35 AM

LOL....

I thought we were talking airbox stuff... I guess I should pay more attention to the thread huh...

Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM

Two conversations going at the same time U-bend and Air box, gets a little disorienting at times. It's all good though. I want to get going on this stuff soon, I want the Monte sounding good for the summer.
I'm waiting to see if the old Canadian dollar will get to par with the US green back before I buy anything.
Maybe I'll get a break and the CDN dollar will actually be worth a little more for a period of time. At least long enough for me to get my orders in.[8D]

Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 PM

~ L I N K ~

Need a backup airbox!!!!

Cheap for now....

Old 10-15-2006, 12:13 AM

This is kinda an old post but o well.

I have been looking at CAI but they are just too much money right now. I really would like to gut my airbox but I need to ask a question first.

Where I live we get a fair amount of snow. I was just wondering if anyone else that has gutted their airbox lives in a snowy area. I want to make sure no water gets in my airbox. Also if I read right are you opening up 2 areas of the airbox? The area right behind the right headlight, and the area between the 2 sections inside the box?

Quick Reply: gutted out intake