Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinion Needed: Glasspack+Muffler delete sounds terrible, advice needed lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 PM
1 Year Member
Default Glasspack+Muffler delete sounds terrible, advice needed lol

So I just had the mufflers removed and replaced with pipes, and a cherry bomb to replace the resonator. 2000 SS. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound even remotely like the one in the video I watched on YouTube. I'd post a clip of mine, but I don't want to give anyone else a headache. It doesn't just sound bad, it's downright terrible. At idle, low, and high RPM it sounds pretty good and the right loudness, but any RPM in between it has a extremely loud low-pitch unnatural-sounding growl. The sound is literally nauseating, and I find myself avoiding pressing the gas at the mid ranges to avoid it. I know the glasspack needs some time to break in, but I'm doubtful as to whether or not the mid-rpm growl will ever go away; the noise is regardless of speed, only at this mid range of RPMs where the whole thing apparently reverberates. Tried spraying cold water on it after warming up, did pretty much nothing. Obviously it was a mistake to do this instead of just getting new mufflers, but I didn't know it was going to sound like this. At this point, I kind of don't want to get new mufflers, since I've already spent money on the no-muffler setup. Can't leave it the way it is though, passengers are complaining and the sound is annoying to me as well.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated on how I could resolve this. Yeah I know I messed up, but bear with me, I'm new to all this... Honestly I'm just looking for the cheapest way to be rid of this low growl, don't really care much otherwise about the sound or loudness to be honest.

Couple questions,
1. If I replace the glasspack with the original resonator and leave the mufflers straight-piped, will I be rid of the mid-rpm growl, or do I need the original mufflers on too? I am under the impression that the resonator is for canceling out a certain range of sounds (like the growl), and the stock mufflers are for simply dampening the sound level, but I want to be absolutely sure before I spend more money. So in theory, if I have stock res + muffler delete, it should sound like stock only louder, correct?

2. If I have no mufflers + the stock resonator, will it be even louder than with the glasspack in place of the res as it is now? There are lifted trucks with 6 inch exhaust pipes screaming around here, I can't make myself believe a Monte could be louder than them...

3. Can the stock resonator count as a muffling device for the purpose of state inspections/legality? Live in VA. They're only looking at people who have the full straight pipe, no res no mufflers, correct? I just passed the inspection yesterday with no mufflers + glasspack as the resonator, I even asked the guy and he said it was fine as it is now because the glasspack can count as a muffler. I'm under the impression that muffler delete + stock resonator will pass inspection (as long as you have the cat), and you would only be pulled over if it was excessively loud. Is this correct?

Is my best option to just swap the glasspack with the stock resonator, or have them put it all back the way it was in the first place?

Thanks

Last edited by CaptainDawson; 06-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainDawson
It doesn't just sound bad, it's downright terrible.
Honestly, that's any loud 3800 IMO. It's just not a good sounding engine. A big cam or a turbo can help a bit, but loud 3800 is never a good thing.

I know the glasspack needs some time to break in, but I'm doubtful as to whether or not the mid-rpm growl will ever go away;
Honestly, this is probably the quietest it's going to get. The more burned up and clogged with crap the glasspack gets, the louder it'll get.

Tried spraying cold water on it after warming up, did pretty much nothing.
I'm confused, what are you spraying water on again?

Any advice/recommendations appreciated on how I could resolve this.
I'd put the stock stuff back on there since that'll only cost labor. Then if you want to mess with it later, try only changing one component at a time.

[QUOTE]1. If I replace the glasspack with the original resonator and leave the mufflers straight-piped, will I be rid of the mid-rpm growl, or do I need the original mufflers on too?[QUOTE]

I'd put it all back on, it's designed to work as a system. Running no mufflers at all is still going to be annoying and crazy loud.

2. If I have no mufflers + the stock resonator, will it be even louder than with the glasspack in place of the res as it is now?
It wont be notably different in volume. Only thing that would make a notable difference is if you deleted it altogether.

3. Can the stock resonator count as a muffling device for the purpose of state inspections/legality? Live in VA.
Probably would have to do some Google searching on that one unless we've got a local member. Around here in AZ, only the emissions stuff matters. You could be totally straight piped behind the cat and have no issues.

Like you said though, there are typically local laws for sound volume and they're not always associated with a specific dB level. With the cops around here, as long as you're not being obnoxious about it (ripping up and down subdivision streets at 2am), they typically leave you alone. Of course if you have local neighbors complaining, that could increase their interest in you.
​​​​​

Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'm confused, what are you spraying water on again?
​​​​​
I was told that spraying cold water on a glasspack speeds up the breaking in process, but I find that kind of doubtful.

So the engine may not sound good, but what I really need to know is if I can lose that particular resonance by adding the stock resonator back in. Just the res and muffler delete. I don't want to pay to put the mufflers back on if I can help it.

Last edited by CaptainDawson; 06-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:18 PM

I can help you out. Ive messed with this crap SOOOO much its nauseating, just like the sound of your exhaust right now.. In doing so ive created a very unique sound that fits the car well and actually sounds really good..

I know you said you dont want to pay anymore but ill give you some ideas for the future should you decide to change your setup..

Ill just list exactly what mine consists of and how I pieced it together..

Got the cheap ebay headers into 2.5" (24" long) glasspack. From there its stock pipe back to the rear "axle" where instead of the Y pipe, I made a 2.5" in/out T pipe. From the T pipe it immediately bends to the passenger side and goes into a thrush turbo muffler. Going to the driver side, it travels a couple feet before bending into a straight pipe (no muffler) but this side is crush bent and stuffed with a very small amount of glasspack material. The material is held in there by a couple self tapping screws.

The main things in this are the T pipe and the crush bent pipe stuffed with crap.. It makes for a really amazing (for a 3800) sound. You would never expect one could sound like this. Its not a deep as a V8, but it has that "hollow" more importantly not raspy tone to it..

Normal cruising is where you hear the best sound, WOT you hear more engine and supercharger..

Im gonna get around to making a video as I think it would really be helpful to the 3800 crowd..

If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask..

Old 06-10-2018, 07:21 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I can help you out. Ive messed with this crap SOOOO much its nauseating, just like the sound of your exhaust right now.. In doing so ive created a very unique sound that fits the car well and actually sounds really good..

I know you said you dont want to pay anymore but ill give you some ideas for the future should you decide to change your setup..

Ill just list exactly what mine consists of and how I pieced it together..

Got the cheap ebay headers into 2.5" (24" long) glasspack. From there its stock pipe back to the rear "axle" where instead of the Y pipe, I made a 2.5" in/out T pipe. From the T pipe it immediately bends to the passenger side and goes into a thrush turbo muffler. Going to the driver side, it travels a couple feet before bending into a straight pipe (no muffler) but this side is crush bent and stuffed with a very small amount of glasspack material. The material is held in there by a couple self tapping screws.

The main things in this are the T pipe and the crush bent pipe stuffed with crap.. It makes for a really amazing (for a 3800) sound. You would never expect one could sound like this. Its not a deep as a V8, but it has that "hollow" more importantly not raspy tone to it..

Normal cruising is where you hear the best sound, WOT you hear more engine and supercharger..

Im gonna get around to making a video as I think it would really be helpful to the 3800 crowd..

If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask..
Thanks, sounds great, but I cannot afford much more than I've already paid. My car was very cheap, so I really can't justify paying much more than $100 for any more exhaust mods or repairs...

Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainDawson
So the engine may not sound good, but what I really need to know is if I can lose that particular resonance by adding the stock resonator back in. Just the res and muffler delete. I don't want to pay to put the mufflers back on if I can help it.
The resonator will help a bit in that area, but it's not a magic bullet (especially a well used stock one). Again, it's designed to work as a system. It does a good job at helping the tiny bit of resonance at the stock muffled level, but with screaming loud straight pipe, it's nowhere near sufficient.

If you're curious, this should be a very straightforward test - have them weld the resonator back in and then get them to drop the car and Rev it a bit before they weld the muffler back on. If you're happy with just the resonator, then just stop there.

Main reason I suggest putting it back to stock is because it sounds like you want to get it done and over with and don't have the funds to keep experimenting. At least you know the stock system is livable and would get a drivable car back.
​​​​​

Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for your replies! My glasspack is getting a bit milder tone over time, so I will leave it as it is at least for a little while longer before I judge it. I'll keep everything said here in consideration for when/if I need to change it up again.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM

1st of all, No mufflers sounds like crap on our cars! to go cheap, Summit brand welded mufflers sound great on cars with a glasspack or resonator. Summit "turbo" muffler will sound good with no glasspack/resonator. My 04 Monte SS has 18" magnaflow round muffler as a resonator and magnaflow oval mufflers. My 03 Grand prix had same 18" muffler with a the summit welded mufflers. I think it sounded better than the Monte. My son who drives the prix started working late hours so I swapped out the mufflers with Dynomax super turbos to quiet the car in the garage. It still sounds good, just quiet at idle.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Not sure what the Summit mufflers sound like on a 3800 but the Summit welded dual chambers sound great on my car and at around $30 a piece well worth the money. If I can figure out how to upload video I'll post how they sound.