Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust setups and emissions on L67's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Default exhaust setups and emissions on L67's

This may sound like a weird question, but I live in PA, and we have emissions inspections every year as well as a safety inspection. I'm guessing that most states that have emissions checks all have similar criteria.

Would putting SLP headers, a 3" downpipe, and a magnaflow high-flow cat make enough of a boost in emissions to cause it to fail? I mean, if big V8 cars can pass emissions here, then it seems like a boosted V6 should pass unless it was burning oil and blowing big white clouds out of the tailpipe.
Is there some reason that the criteria is different for different engine setups (i.e. are the limits for a 4cyl the same as in inline 6, and the same as a V6, and the same as a V8)?

Just curious, I sometimes see modified L67 cars for sale and sometimes the price is tempting. I'd hate to buy a car from say wisconsin or texas where they don't have emissions and then have it fail as soon as I got it registered here.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,

Riggs.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: exhaust setups and emissions on L67's

Keegan, or ExplosiveSoundz, lives in PA. He would be a good guy to ask. AND if you're interested in a highly mod'ed Intimidator, his is for sale. I brought it to him from ZZPerformance. I SEEN the dyno sheet. 336 at the wheels! AND 20mpg on the highway!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

I've seen the website that he set up, and would love a car like that, but a modded intimidator is gonna be out of my price range until next year sometime. Right now I'm looking at some late 90's, early 2000s regal gs's. They tend to be more in the 3-6k price range. Most aren't heavily modified, but some have headers or downpipes already.

-Riggs.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 AM

I could be wrong here- but in Indiana, our emission test consists of a gas cap inspection, a visual check for the cat under the car, and a plug in to the OBD2 port to check for any codes. They do not test tailpipe emissions at all, because if the computer says the engine is running ok- then emissions should be within acceptable levels.

If you install that stuff, and you get a service engine code- you're gonna fail. The only thing that worries me is that HF cat, because it seems like some people trip the cat code with them, and some dont. If it does trip, you could always get an O2 emulator, or have the codes physically deleted from the pcm.

If they put you on actual rollers like they do to the obd1 and older cars around here, then I have no idea.