Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Emissions problem another one whats new

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Default Emissions problem another one whats new

check engine light came on today and had them scan it at autozone to get an idea of what it is and they say I have a large emissions leak another thing to go wrong with 46,000 miles on it and owned from day one with no miles except the 5 they put on it at the stealership not to mention the electrical bs that has been happening when it was under warranty like the rear defroster not turning off the backlighting on the windows and door switches the rear view mirror auto dim not working and the paint I know that things will go wrong from time to time but thats just a few things that has happened and now I just wonder whats wrong with it now not to mention i had to take it back 8 times for the one stealership to get it right when they would give me my car back and say its fixed and i get in it and its not done .....with all this I dont know if i will buy another gm car again sad when thats all i have ever driven and bought ....and the saturn the wife has is having the same problems

all in all im frustrated even though I love my car and dont want to switch brands

Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Emissions problem another one whats new

ORIGINAL: 04ss

check engine light came on today and had them scan it at autozone to get an idea of what it is and they say I have a large emissions leak another thing to go wrong with 46,000 miles on it and owned from day one with no miles except the 5 they put on it at the stealership not to mention the electrical bs that has been happening when it was under warranty like the rear defroster not turning off the backlighting on the windows and door switches the rear view mirror auto dim not working and the paint I know that things will go wrong from time to time but thats just a few things that has happened and now I just wonder whats wrong with it now not to mention i had to take it back 8 times for the one stealership to get it right when they would give me my car back and say its fixed and i get in it and its not done .....with all this I dont know if i will buy another gm car again sad when thats all i have ever driven and bought ....and the saturn the wife has is having the same problems

all in all im frustrated even though I love my car and dont want to switch brands
Dosn't sound like that big of a deal to fix. Did they not tell you what the code was that triggered the CEL? Without that it's kind of difficult to help you diagnose the problem, there are a few parts on the evap system that could be at fault

Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 AM

all they said was it came up as a large emissions leak ..its not a big deal to fix other than paying for my wedding and other stuff and just coming off of being laid off from that american axle strike coupled with something goes wrong with the car every 2 months I love the car just not the problems associated with it for having the amount of miles and being well taken care of same stuff is going on with the wifes saturn ....thats why im seriously considering not gm this time around for a new car and i honestly never thought i would feel this way

Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 AM

First I would find a diferent dealer to do your repair work if they are not doing it properly. Second, if it's not fixed right, it doesn't leave the dealer lot and the paperwork should not get signed closing out the warranty claim.
I would go back to Auto Zone or Advance Auto and get the actual code number that the CEL triggers and post that. Aren't emissions systems warranteed for something like 100K miles? Take it back to the dealer....again. If it is under warranty and you start messing with the emissions yourself, the dealer will likely deny your claim if you try to take it back later to have them fix it.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 AM

Congrats on getting married
sorry to hear you have to visit the dealer so often, but I believe that the newest generation of GM cars are at least slightly better than the last ten years worth of cars. seems there was a lot of "oops....ran out of time and it's the slated production date, just throw something in there to make it work for now mentality".

Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 AM

Congrats on getting married! I know it's frustrating when a car nickel and dimes you or you have to go the dealer every few months. I agree though...get the code..it should be a P0 code. I've never heard of a "Large Emissions Leak." But then again, who am I to say what's what, ya know? Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a P0445 code. I'm struggling with the same thing recently. I carry a code reader with me, cuz I keep throwing a P0420 code from my hi-flow cat at long stop lights.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Sounds like a P0445 code. I'm struggling with the same thing recently. I carry a code reader with me, cuz I keep throwing a P0420 code from my hi-flow cat at long stop lights.
Hopefully he'll get us a code and we can help him out. It's nice being able to go to an Auto Zone or other place and have it read for free, but sometimes those guys really don't know what they're talking about. Other times the person does know...Can't you get a dummy O2 sensor and clear that P0420 code?