Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM

i was just reading about "stainless and salt"

theres 2 kinds of stainless

t409 = longevity
which is used on cheaper cat backs like slp,summit,dynomax, magnaflow
this kind will not rust though but will have surface rust, and need to be mantainenced. all you need is some stainless steel cleaner and a scuff pad.

t304 = longevity and vanity
this is what corsa, and i belive borla uses
this kind says it doesnt matter how much salt you though at it, it shoudnt have any surface rust.

the difference is the amount of chomium in the metal.
304 is a higher grade steel, simply put. thats why it costs more.

hope that helps you sleep better after you big purchase.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 PM

no it wont affect power at all, teh front one will, and about the light staying on:
if you can find a shop that will do some "hush work" you could probably pay them a little and theyll turn it off for you.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
i was just reading about "stainless and salt"

theres 2 kinds of stainless

t409 = longevity
which is used on cheaper cat backs like slp,summit,dynomax, magnaflow
this kind will not rust though but will have surface rust, and need to be mantainenced. all you need is some stainless steel cleaner and a scuff pad.

t304 = longevity and vanity
this is what corsa, and i belive borla uses
this kind says it doesnt matter how much salt you though at it, it shoudnt have any surface rust.

the difference is the amount of chomium in the metal.
304 is a higher grade steel, simply put. thats why it costs more.

hope that helps you sleep better after you big purchase.
I'm just defending the vendors on this one, but SLP makes their exhaust out of 304 stainless steel and grants a life time warranty on the exhaust. Dynomax uses alumnized steel, which may be closer to the 409 steel you were talking about.

It's true Borla and Corsa both use 304, but they are not the only ones, SLP also does, and for half the price.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:19 PM

sorry about the slp diss, my bad

i just figured the ones from 5-700 were 409 and the 9-1200 were 304

maybe ill get an slp then. if i go to summit racings retail store will they be able to show me what it sounds like.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
sorry about the slp diss, my bad

i just figured the ones from 5-700 were 409 and the 9-1200 were 304

maybe ill get an slp then. if i go to summit racings retail store will they be able to show me what it sounds like.
If you get Borla or Corsa over SLP, you aren't purchasing it for the better material or construction, you're purchasing it for the name itself, or the preferred sound, which is fine if you like the sound of those exhaust systems that much.

I know Summit Racing used to have sound clips of what their exhausts sound like on certain cars, I'm not sure if they have it available for all models or not, still worth a look.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Does having this code reduce your car's performance in any way? Or is it just an annoying light you can't get rid of?
Does not hurt the performance. You can get rid of the light with a tuned pcm or O2 emulator.

if you can find a shop that will do some "hush work" you could probably pay them a little and theyll turn it off for you.
Most shops aren't going to have the tools needed to change the code to 'not reporting'. Sure any shop with an OBD2 scan tool can reset the light- but it will just come back; you need some sort of tuning software (like HPTuners) to get it turned off. The bad thing is, most shops that have HPTuners usually just pay for the credits to do the cars they work on most- ie camaro's gto's, other LSx engine cars and trucks- so you may have to pay extra if they have to buy the credits to be able to tune your car.

Dynomax uses alumnized steel, which may be closer to the 409 steel you were talking about.
Aluminized is typically just coated mild steel which isn't even close to a stainless 409. If left alone, aluminized steel shouldn't rust- but the bad thing is, they weld it on- and welding burns off the alumizined coating at the welds- not the mention if anything even light scratches through the aluminized coating- you've got bare mild steel which will rust. Aluminized really is the cheapest exhaust you can get- just because no place is going to use bare mild steel because it will rust through so quick.

Either type of stainless steel is far superior to a coated mild steel.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Srry bout this lade03ss..but instead of starting a new thread i wanted to know if anyone knew if these would fit on the monte..i have a intimidator and one of my friends wants to sell me these r should i go with a 3".. 2.5" Borla Pro XS Stainless Steel Mufflers #40358... thanks!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM

i have a intimidator and one of my friends wants to sell me these r should i go with a 3".. 2.5" Borla Pro XS Stainless Steel Mufflers #40358... thanks!!
2.5" is fine- you don't need dual 3" coming off the Y split. It would be different if you were only running a single muffler.

Those Pro XS mufflers are one of the most popular 3800 mufflers out there though!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you paint the Dynomax system with exhaust paint, it will protect it from rusting. I did that for my 03 and right now, there is only rust showing at the welds, which I plan on touching up when I get it out of storage. BTW, I did drive the 03 in 2 salty winters with the painted Dynomax system and I think it's held up real well.