Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Default Exhaust options

I'm relatively new to this forum, and I'm looking at exhaust options. I have an 03 SS with a N/A 3800. I was looking at ZZPerformance and I saw they have a an aluminized cat back exhaust kit for grand prix's. I would get the option with the 3 inch system, the 3 inch off road down pipe, with no resonator. Will this setup delete the cat, and if so will this system bolt right up to the monte's? Along with this I'm looking at a K&N CAI. What can i expect for hp gains?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is not the right system for your car. You do not want to go larger than 2.5" pipes on your car. You are not running boost and do not need the 3 inch system. No cat, no resonator 3 inch system, going to be a little too loud and a little raspy.

Also, where do you live? Deleting the catalytic converter is illegal in some states.

From that cat-back changing that will not net you any horsepower gains. If HP is what you want, save your money and read: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10942

N/A = L36 engine. I have the basic bolt-on L36 build on my Monte SS. If you want to know more. Also you can look in my sig for some videos

Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM

I live in MN, I have a 92 f-150 with no cats, headers and a single dual in, dual out muffler. I want to get a nice sound as well as a little better flow in the exhaust.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM

15 Year Member

My recommendation:

ZZP Front Stainless Steel Powerlog into a 2.5" 304 SS Downpipe (with or without cat) and if you want a cat-back the GMPP Exhaust is a great system. Not expensive, the 4" SS tips look great, very easy to install and doesn't sound as raspy as the other larger systems.

All of that is more than enough flow for the N/A engine.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM

aluminized cat back exhaust
I think this is a bad idea for living in MN- I'd personally get a stainless system for longevity.

The OR DP's will delete the cat.

I also agree with the above that a 3" dp and 3" exhaust is way overkill.

If you're just looking for a sound change and better flow- do the plog and 2.5" DP like chibi said, and then just have some new mufflers and tips welded on. Your stock catback piping definitely isn't holding you back- and it would be a whole lot cheaper just to buy some new mufflers and tips- and then either delete, keep, or replace the resonator.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM

15 Year Member

I was going to do new mufflers and tips, but the salty conditions my car saw for 9.5 years ruined my stock cat-back, which is why I presented the cat-back.

My resonator was shot, pretty badly. and the stock tubing didn't look so great either so I just replaced it all.

Also, after I took it off and apart that stock Y-Pipe looked really small to me was that a 2" section of pipe?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM

I was thinkin about throwing some super 44's on with 4 inch tips, and loosing the resonator with the downpipe. What is ur take on that since I want it to sound somewhat loud, but have a nice deep tone.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

as of right now ive got a 2.5 after the cat,u bend delete, resonator delete stock mufflers, havnt changed the mufflers yet but i was also thinking the super 44s sense ive got a few laying around the garage

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM

I was thinkin about throwing some super 44's on with 4 inch tips, and loosing the resonator with the downpipe. What is ur take on that since I want it to sound somewhat loud, but have a nice deep tone.
If your piping isn't totally shot (usually its just got surface rust unless you've got some heavy salting in the area), that sounds like a good plan. As far as tone and loudness- that varies so much by person that its hard to say- I'd search youtube for some videos of grand prix's, montes, impalas, anything with a 3800 and that exhaust combo. I will say- loud and deep makes me think some sort of glasspack like a cherry bomb or something along those lines.

When I went to the exhaust shop with my monte, I had a very specific goal- I wanted the quietest aftermarket muffler they had- since searching online didn't come out too well, and the exhaust shop couldn't tell me- they stuck a couple different mufflers on there to see what I liked (my remote start works ok if the engine is warmed up already)- so they were able to just stick it on and start it on the rack. I'm sure it will be a little more work with 2 mufflers- but it would be well worth a little extra money to them to make you happy. Its not like they ever sell those mufflers to customers without install anyways, and its still practically brand new even if they slipped it on a car for a few seconds. Worth a shot to try.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM

i have the flowmaster super 44 to me it sounds good made it sound a little meaner and at least i know it is running at the stop lights because my car was way i mean way to quiet. it maid me feel like it stalled out every time i stoped at a light or at a stop sign.

Quick Reply: Exhaust options