Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

Here is a pic of my K&N intake & cover with 2 months of winter driving on it. The filter is still pretty clean. I feel the cover has helped keep it clean. There is a clip that holds it by the intake hole in the shroud, and a piece of 1/2" foam weatherstrip under the brace to help push it down. There will be 1 screw on the final to hold it better in the front.
The temp of the brace and shroud when it's hot out convinced me to put the cover on it. This is verson #3. Version 4 wil be CNC'd and trimmed with graphics and a black border to hide the gasket. I will be making several, since I'm CNC'ing it, if anyone might be interested. Graphics could be custom, or none at all. Mine will say "Intimidator SS" like on the side of the car, and below it will say "#3599 of 4000".
What do you think?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

[IMG]local://upfiles/1500/EDAD48438D4A480EB9BE53576E674518.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM

That's some nice Montes you got there! ...And you look very proud too. Of course, if I had two jewls like that, I would be very proud too. Enjoy and keep 'm kleen

MC2K

Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM

im jelouse i wish my car could look that good, but in the snow it would disapear LOL

Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just received the K & N CAI for my Monte!! I can't wait to put it on - well I have to wait till the weather gets good here - Monte is in storage so it won't get salty!!! After I install I will post pics.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

oh good you did decide to get it...make sure you tell us how you like it..

Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 AM

I've been looking at the CAI box for my 06 SS, but $270 is pretty steep. Has anyone made their own on an SS with the 5.3L V8?

Old 03-03-2007, 10:35 PM

i havent heard of any one doing it yet. but can you show me any photos of wha tthey are selling and the engin bay on your car i might beabel to think of somethign that you can try for it

Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 PM

This is the only "kit" I've seen so far for 5.3L.

http://www.coldairinductions.com/W-B...oldAirBox.html

Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04
The temp of the brace and shroud when it's hot out convinced me to put the cover on it. This is verson #3. Version 4 wil be CNC'd and trimmed with graphics and a black border to hide the gasket. I will be making several, since I'm CNC'ing it, if anyone might be interested. Graphics could be custom, or none at all. Mine will say "Intimidator SS" like on the side of the car, and below it will say "#3599 of 4000".
What do you think?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

[IMG]local://upfiles/1500/EDAD48438D4A480EB9BE53576E674518.jpg[/IMG]
That sounds cool. I can't wait to see pics of it!! How much would you charge for one of those covers? I have a custome bowtie design that I would put on it.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM

ok so yours is very close to what ours is.
i used the hard plastic pipe off a ford , It was on the small suv they have out with the 4 banger in it.
it has a long hard plastic pipe that runs to the fendr from the throttel plate. i looked at it and figured out it was almost the same size as the 3" pipe i had on my car.
and it was long enough to run from the end of that rubber hose to the fenderwell and then i got a coverd cone filter from the Autoparts store and a 90 bent in a chrome pipe. (it was a universal elbow)
then i fashend up a hanger for in the fender to mount the filter to it. stuck the filter on the end of the 90 and the other side in the end of the rubber hose that hooks to our air box normally and clamped it all togeather and down tight.
my filter sits in the fender is out of the way has gone threw 6" of water and never sucked a drop off the pavment . and the filter has never gotten wet. i have actuallt stoped tocheck this as i was worried it had gotten wet.
it did not get wet.
Also it has seen up to 4" of snow with otu any issues also.
it has gone down the autobahn at over 120mph and never came off or created rattels etc.....
So i would say it is holding up pretty well.
Total cost to build
30.00 and that was for the filter and the elbow. the other part i got off a frends truck while he was installing his 200.oo cold air intake he bought i want to say it was a wepond R
mien was cheap works just as well and i dont have the issues with it being a metal pipe runnign threw the engin bay to heat up .
and it dose stay kool to the touch when it is hot out. but it is warm so i cant say it is completly a cold air in take but better then the stock version.

Good luck

let me know wha tyou decid to do and when i get mine off the dang boat and back home i can get you a better shot of it if you would like . i need to pull the filter out and wash it anyway so i will pull the whole thing out so everyone can see it.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake