Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
Same thing for this fouler thing and /or the emulator they are used for when the cat is flowing to fast and the O2 sensor cannot sample the exhaust path as it is to fast. Then the O2 sensor is moved to get out of the fast track and given the chance to sample more correctly. This is why some factory installs have bends associated with one of the O2 sensors. Then customers/owners do mods to remove the restrictions and end up doing more mods to fool/ trick the system another way. The emulator is usually used for the same reasons just a different way of doing it.

It is not the front O2 sensor that calls for the code it is the rear that says wait a minute there is little or no change from front to rear and then tells the comp to add fuel. As I explained earlier the comp can only do so much then a lean/ rich condition occurs. In your case I believe it to be bordering on lean. But the simple testing will tell if done correctly.
I think like I said early on I'll get a replacement under warranty so I know I'm starting with a fresh good cat and if it turns out that it was indeed good then I'll need to pursue other avenues of eliminating that code so it doesn't pop up on the new cat in 6 months.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well had the cat swapped out today and I do believe it was plugged. At least the dreaded P0420 code is gone. I think it popped on as a result of a bad thermostat. The only thing I didn't get to ask my nephew was how long would the thermostat have to be bad to plug the cat? The CEL light for the bad thermostat was only on for about a month maybe? I'm wondering if the thermostat could have been bad much longer though and just not thrown the light? Any thoughts?