Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2 weeks from installation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Default RE: 1 week from installation...

You will want the 3" 304 stainless bolt-in downpipe w/ cat. Gaskets can be reused. You won't need a O2 simulator or extension. Get the prepaid return label. Also make sure you have a code clearer unless you don't mind the check engine light, you will be throwing a P0420 code because of the high-flow cat. I have to clear mine every week.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 PM

guy today said about $400/$450 for the mufflers, pipe from the cat back and labor... add to that the cost of the ZZP downpipe and i would be lookin at around $550/$575. for the whole kit'n'kaboodle... plus $50 moreif i go with the 304 like Nocturnx just said.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Default call out to Intimidators and the like...

Dan, (and Alex, too...)

since you had a similar setup with the 3" dp, etc. i was wondering how much the low-end torque suffers with that? would the 2.5" give me a little better torque? i don't plan on going too far into the build beyond, maybe, a smaller pulley (10 lbs boost) so i don't think i would really need that extra .5" would i? not if the torque is going to suffer, anyway... from a stop light, that's what makes the difference! did either of you experience a loss in torque w/ the 3"?

...also, Wayne and Josh, if you could weigh in on this? i know you, Wayne, have done a lot with your Intimidator and Josh, your Tony Stewart is essentially the same Monte, so both your inputs would be appreciated!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

You will want the 3" 304 stainless bolt-in downpipe w/ cat. Gaskets can be reused. You won't need a O2 simulator or extension. Get the prepaid return label. Also make sure you have a code clearer unless you don't mind the check engine light, you will be throwing a P0420 code because of the high-flow cat. I have to clear mine every week.
AutoZone would clear that for me, too, though. how much would a code clearer cost?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've honestly looked into one myself.... they are around $100-175, depending on which one you get. Seems like I've heard of them as low as $50

Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 AM

I have never gotten a code since I've been using a hi-flow cat in 2004. I have had a 3" DP and no resonator since 2004. Some cars toss a code, some are fine. It all depends on the make-up of the casting on the heads and manifolds, and the tolerance of the rear O2.

3" DP is the way to go on a SC setup. You're choking your setup with a 2.5", and making it next to impossible to run knock free with a smaller pulley. You will lose no torque (at least not enough to feel it by the seat of your pants).

I was on a 3.4" pulley, TOG headers, 3" DP, no resonator, hi-flow cat, and magnaflows, and I was able to burn 2 wheels and lay a patch as long as I wanted to.... we already have too much torque to keep traction, so a slight losswon't affect your 0-60... it's a driver's race from the light with the power we have. As soon as you drop pulley sizes (with the proper mods), you'll have 20-30 more wtq anyways, so don't worry about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks, Rob!

the 3.4" pulley is how much boost? i am only looking to size down originally without having to swap out the manifold for headers... (not enough money for that until AFTER grad school)

also, what are you running from the cat back? 2.5" or 3" pipe? your magnaflows have what size in/out?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM

also, when i do this (sorry to bring this up [:-]) will i still have enough back pressure/exhaust scavenging left if i go as follows:

3" dp
high-flow cat
u-bend delete
res delete (decided i don't mind the drone, i want to hear my car start!)
flowmaster super 40s

and for the pipe from the cat back, should i go 2.5" pipe or 3" pipe? (bad intersections here have rubbed my front end, may bottom out? the shop said 3" would be okay for ground clearance but recommended 2.5" pipe back...)

Old 03-07-2008, 05:35 PM

Since I prefer not to repeat myself, I'll just quote my last post to answer your question about whether to go 3" or 2.5". Take special note of the second paragraph....

ORIGINAL: lav74

I have never gotten a code since I've been using a hi-flow cat in 2004. I have had a 3" DP and no resonator since 2004. Some cars toss a code, some are fine. It all depends on the make-up of the casting on the heads and manifolds, and the tolerance of the rear O2.

3" DP is the way to go on a SC setup. You're choking your setup with a 2.5", and making it next to impossible to run knock free with a smaller pulley. You will lose no torque (at least not enough to feel it by the seat of your pants).

I was on a 3.4" pulley, TOG headers, 3" DP, no resonator, hi-flow cat, and magnaflows, and I was able to burn 2 wheels and lay a patch as long as I wanted to.... we already have too much torque to keep traction, so a slight losswon't affect your 0-60... it's a driver's race from the light with the power we have. As soon as you drop pulley sizes (with the proper mods), you'll have 20-30 more wtq anyways, so don't worry about it.
In summary, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you go with a 2.5" DP and cat... 3" from the DP to the Y. After that, you can go as small as 2 1/4", since you're splitting into 2 pipes.

I don't have Magnaflows mufflers anymore... I'm straight piped, with a big huge 3" x 30" resonator... it's all the muffling I need.

As for boost levels on a 3.4" pulley, it can range from 8psi to 12+psi... it all depends on the casting of the SC, the heads, the manifolds... you get what I'm saying... all this has an impact on cylinder pressures, heat, and resulting levels of boost in the intake manifold... every mod you change will affect your resulting boost levels... having better breathing mods from the intake to the exhaust helps the engine consume more air per cycle, and thus, can use more air, reducing the levels of boost on a given pulley size. So, to summarize this one... you never know exactly until you scan and see what your boost levels are, since EVERY engine is different, even with similar mods.

Last item, you're a smart man to dump your stock resonator... if you need to muffle your drone out, get a straight thru resonator, or a cherrybomb or glasspack. That will reduce your drone, and still keep you free flowing.

Hope that answers your questions...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 PM

i'm sorry! i followed that you'd done the 3" dp but just didn't pick up on that you went 3" back... call it a blonde moment!
i was just curious b/c i know that the stock pipe shrinks further back so i didn't know, i apologize for not following the first time...
thank you for your help!

Quick Reply: 2 weeks from installation...