Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   2 weeks from installation... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/2-weeks-installation-8257/)

tommypro 03-03-2008 05:03 PM

2 weeks from installation...

I want to get an exhaust system put onto my Intimidator but just wanted to get some suggestions first... I know this may be highly repititious of previous posts and may tick some people off as a result, if so, I am sorry! I would rather err on the side of caution and I couldn't find an answer to my question with the "Search" feature here...

Anyway, I want to head down to Omaha over Spring Break March 16th-24th to get an exhaust system installed. While searching videos for the sound I want I found an '03 Jeff Gordon Monte with a sound I found appealing. With the same engine size, I figured it would be a good model. (Video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJpv2OLDksM)
In the video description he says he has "Flowmaster 40's with Flowmaster 3" exhaust tips, a downpipe from ZZ Performance, a retuned PCM and a K&N intake." I have the K&N Intake and will be looking at PCM Mods a bit later, but for now was considering the following:
3" downpipe
High-flow Cat
U-Bend Delete
Flowmaster 40's
and maybe a resonator delete? glass packs for sound?

Thoughts? Better systems/parts? Any support mods I would need? Headers? And how much should it run me, having the system installed? (Have a warranty, so mods must be done by ASE Certified mechanics for now)

The sound I am going for is that old-school muscle car sound. I like the '03 Jeff Gordon's system and cannot stand ricey tuners so I want to avoid as much of the tin sound as I can! Whatever you guys can tell me, I would be very appreciative!

Cowboy6622 03-03-2008 05:17 PM

RE: 2 weeks from installation...

sounds good... (pun intended)

that should give you the sound you want. the stock cats give you a kind of ricey sound.. replacing it will help with that. sounds like a plan to me.

God_Bot 03-03-2008 08:31 PM

Sounds like a good set up, I like it

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622
the stock cats give you a kind of ricey sound.. replacing it will help with that.
Really? I've never heard that before, but if it's true then I'll be taking that damn thing out sometime. Hell my sister is a pretty good welder, I could get here to do it for me if I let her drive it for a day afterwards. ;)

I know you were talking about it, but did you ever take yours out Duane?

Cowboy6622 03-03-2008 08:46 PM

no.... the guy who inspected cars and cleared them easy.. his wife got in some trouble and they skipped town.... so i got to keep ti legal for awhile. maybe i'll get a high flow cat one of these years :)

God_Bot 03-03-2008 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

no.... the guy who inspected cars and cleared them easy.. his wife got in some trouble and they skipped town.... so i got to keep ti legal for awhile. maybe i'll get a high flow cat one of these years :)
Ah, that's no fun.

I don't have to worry about any inspections or anything so that's not a big problem for me.

tommypro 03-03-2008 09:13 PM

ya, i don't have to worry about inspections in sd, either... and when i move to cali for grad school, i'll just keep my registration out of mn, if need be...

seriously, though, i won't have any problems with that setup? and what should i consider for the cat? i see a lot of people on here talking up magnaflow...

i guess i am just confused because this is the first time i have ever had to really consider putting on an exhaust system... (old cars weren't sexy enough to justify it)

vita 03-04-2008 01:50 AM

you might want to do a res delete too. interior noise is not a problem at ALL for mine, and I dropped mine out and love it. It does help with the growl, well, a lot!

04 Intimidator 03-04-2008 03:43 AM

ORIGINAL: tommypro
3" downpipe
High-flow Cat
U-Bend Delete
Flowmaster 40's
and maybe a resonator delete? glass packs for sound?

This is actually a very good setup. I'm not a fan of the resonator delete because I drive alot and when I have passengers we catch up all the time and with the resonator out it made too much noise on the inside (drone). Everyone had to keep their voices somewhat raised.

Also on your own you need to turn up the stereo. Now years ago I was always thumping but it's getting old hat and I'm turning it down a bit. Neighbors like that as well.

Even still though people come in my car and turn down the radio for me because my hearing is bad and that is my comfort level. With the resonator out is was just worse.

Cowboy6622 03-04-2008 06:24 AM

teh magnaflow is a good high flow cat..... i say go for it. great set up

tommypro 03-04-2008 07:15 PM

so, more forum and web cruising later... (it's midterms and i prefer procrastination to studying) i was looking at ZZPerformance's website and was wondering about the downpipe, high-flow cat, u-bend delete piece they offer. if i were to go that route, it looks that that would solve MOST of this mod question up to the flowmaster 40 mufflers, right?
https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...&catid=110
with that, would i want to do the bolt-in or weld-in 3" and add the rear O2 extension? what else would i need to do besides tell the exhaust shop where to order this from?