Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 MC SS straight pipes no muff question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 PM

hahah...very much so...see the two huge chips in the front bumper...yeah, thats gravel at work

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrChyes?.../0/3NNGl6V2Nrk

heres the second video
this was hard to get lol
first off, the video was on my moms harddrive on her video camera, so i hooked it up to the tv...and played it from there
while my camera was sitting on the tripod videoing this camaro tearing up our driveway...all in all, kinda bad res...but u can still hear the headers screaming at the end of the vid haha

Last edited by MrChyes; 02-28-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM

straight piped isnt overly loud and doesnt sound like huge bag of crap, but lets not forget im running the factory downpipe, cat, and a resonator. it gets a little droney with the windows up and the sunroof closed but if you have the windows, or sunroof cracked/open as i usually do youll be fine. my gf complains, but she acts like shes a 90 year old grand mother. ill try and take a video today but the camera might be dead and its hard to drive and film at the same time.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I always thought they sounded like a helicopter when DOD engages?
Oh, it does.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
On my GXP (same engine as the monte SS's)- I've got an electric cutout in place of the resonator- so I can go from flowing through stock mufflers to dumping just after the cat.

Power feels about the same either way. When I first did it, I would say it felt like it had a little less bottom end driving around with the cutout open- but after driving it for almost a year, I can't really tell if there is a difference. At the drag strip, I ran both ways- and was only maybe 1/2 mph quicker with the cutout open running the same ET (ET's were traction limited, so MPH would be the better indicator here).

I will say, the sound is not at all like I was expecting- I was hoping to have something similar sounding to an LS1, or like my buddy's LS2 goat w/ headers and a catback- and actually they sound like two totally different engines. I'd say if anything, my car sounds much deeper- not nearly as loud (his car running through mufflers is louder than mine with an open dump)- but overall, I'd say my car sounds more like a truck LS engine (probably due to the exhaust manifold design and single exhaust). Don't get me wrong- its not bad, but it just sounds much more like an LS powered truck than an LS powered car.

Personally, on a DD, I don't think running without mufflers would be a big deal- the engine really isn't terribly loud (and I'd imagine its a good deal less still being piped out back instead of dumping under the seats like in my car)- I just don't think it sounds as nice or refined as it does with mufflers on it.
i agree with everything you said here. i think that if the ls4 had headers and a similar cam/ intake as those cars it wouldnt sound "truck like". personally i dont think it sounds like a truck myself. i can say that its a little overly bassy, and with the gearing sounds a little odd being in second and third for so long, but other than that a well worth practically free mod. i would ditch dod though cause it does sound like a chopper when it kicks in. or drive around town in 3rd.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Old 03-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've found that if you throw her down into 1 2 or 3 the DOD doesn't even kick in. . . . that's what i'll probably do once it's nice enough out to mess with my exhaust. . . . .

Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM

yeah thats why i said or drive around town in 3rd. dod only engages in 4th. i dont remember the mph. a guy on tech figured out how to disable it and put it on a toggle switch for highway use, or obviously tune it out.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM

these videos arent really an indication as to how the car genuinely sounds. they were taken on my pos phone cause i forgot my camera when i went out. tons of wind and the phone doesnt pick up all the tones so it sounds like its in dod or like it has a hole in the exhaust. also for some god forsaken reason the video shot sideways and i didnt notice till i was home. its tough to record and drive at the same time. ill have a friend use a real camera sometime in the near future. didnt know how to post it straight so youll have to use the links. like i said theres tons of noise and the quality is trash. the car actually sounds good in person or on a actual camera. at the end of the second video the cars going 80/90 with the windows up and you can barely here it on the video which isnt true in person. ill see what i can do about better videos.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...11115103g2.mp4
http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...11114493g2.mp4

Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 PM

N00B SAIB0T

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
these videos arent really an indication as to how the car genuinely sounds. they were taken on my pos phone cause i forgot my camera when i went out. tons of wind and the phone doesnt pick up all the tones so it sounds like its in dod or like it has a hole in the exhaust. also for some god forsaken reason the video shot sideways and i didnt notice till i was home. its tough to record and drive at the same time. ill have a friend use a real camera sometime in the near future. didnt know how to post it straight so youll have to use the links. like i said theres tons of noise and the quality is trash. the car actually sounds good in person or on a actual camera. at the end of the second video the cars going 80/90 with the windows up and you can barely here it on the video which isnt true in person. ill see what i can do about better videos.
Resonator on or off?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's mine, cutout, resonator intact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fb3oyMWK18

Quick Reply: 06 MC SS straight pipes no muff question