Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 MC SS straight pipes no muff question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM

N00B SAIB0T
Default 06 MC SS straight pipes no muff question

Wondering if I'll lose low end torque by deleting the mufflers and running straight pipes?

Everythig else will be stock, so basically just tips w/o mufflers.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's just the mufflers, then I don't think you'll lose anything. You'll still have the cat and the resonator if all you do is remove the mufflers, so it will still be louder, but no effect on performance.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:48 PM

N00B SAIB0T

Originally Posted by zipper
If it's just the mufflers, then I don't think you'll lose anything. You'll still have the cat and the resonator if all you do is remove the mufflers, so it will still be louder, but no effect on performance.
ok,thats exactly what I'm lookin for, nothin to effect the performance , just enhance the look with bigger tips and enhance the sound. Don't really care to go all out on my Monte for now, just keepin it subtle.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM

even if it did lose low end torque i think that would help performance. since the car is tough to launch anyway.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 02-25-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 AM

you will probably will put on some form of mufflers. there are a couple of posts on here or some where here that some one did have straight pipes with no mufflers. ended up putting on flows or some thing like that to cut some of the raspyness off from haveing no mufflers. just putting it out there it is imop but just trying to keep you informed.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

im straight piped. no rasp. havent put the mufflers back on.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM

N00B SAIB0T

Thanks Monteman!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM

On my GXP (same engine as the monte SS's)- I've got an electric cutout in place of the resonator- so I can go from flowing through stock mufflers to dumping just after the cat.

Power feels about the same either way. When I first did it, I would say it felt like it had a little less bottom end driving around with the cutout open- but after driving it for almost a year, I can't really tell if there is a difference. At the drag strip, I ran both ways- and was only maybe 1/2 mph quicker with the cutout open running the same ET (ET's were traction limited, so MPH would be the better indicator here).

I will say, the sound is not at all like I was expecting- I was hoping to have something similar sounding to an LS1, or like my buddy's LS2 goat w/ headers and a catback- and actually they sound like two totally different engines. I'd say if anything, my car sounds much deeper- not nearly as loud (his car running through mufflers is louder than mine with an open dump)- but overall, I'd say my car sounds more like a truck LS engine (probably due to the exhaust manifold design and single exhaust). Don't get me wrong- its not bad, but it just sounds much more like an LS powered truck than an LS powered car.

Personally, on a DD, I don't think running without mufflers would be a big deal- the engine really isn't terribly loud (and I'd imagine its a good deal less still being piped out back instead of dumping under the seats like in my car)- I just don't think it sounds as nice or refined as it does with mufflers on it.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No rasp here, I also have a cut out, but the resonator is still in place. The cutout is right before the Y

Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by Cully77
No rasp here, I also have a cut out, but the resonator is still in place. The cutout is right before the Y
I think that's how I'd run it to if I installed a cutout. After the resonator.

Quick Reply: 06 MC SS straight pipes no muff question