Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 3.5 CAI few questions before pulling the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Default 06 3.5 CAI few questions before pulling the trigger

After searching around, it seems that the general consensus is that a CAI for the 3.9 will fit on the 3.5. It also seems that installing a CAI is relatively simple. It also seems that cold air inductions makes a very good set up with a fully sealed/insulated box to ensure no hot air gets in. Just to be sure, if I ordered the CAI here http://www.coldairinductions.com/car...roducts_id=813 it should be all I need to install the kit? Is it simply taking off the clamps on my current intake and taking out the stock air box and putting the new CAI in and bolting it on? I've seen some conflicting information on PCM wires and something about a tray? Also will I need to flash the my ECU or need an O2 senor mod to avoid a check engine light?

Finally, any drawbacks to installing a CAI?

Thanks for the help, its been quite sometime since I've been able to log on here and its nice to see many of the same faces still around :-)

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 AM

it wont throw any codes when you install the cold air intake. second you will dont need to flash the ecu which you think it is the pcm which is the bigger of the two electrical boxes in the air box. to have them on the bottum is like having them on the under side of the air box getting a straight shot it self getting cool air. and no you dont have to unhook or rehook the wires all you have to do is tu turn them up side down to install the pcm and the tcm

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a simple plug and play procedure. I believe the CAI from them uses the stock air tube, so you won't even be messing with the IAT sensor or anything.

I would disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least an hour though (disconnect and put the CAI, if that took more than an hour reconnect the battery, if less than an hour, just wait until it's a full hour)

This will allow your PCM to go into relearn mode and learn the new air intake

Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 PM

you put it better then i did chibiblacksheep

Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Just a heads up- you really should resize your sig, its way too big, almost takes up the whole height of my browser window.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea, I have the coldairinductions cai on my 3.5L now. Just order it from www.coldairinductions.com under the 3.9L V6. It works awesome, no drawbacks IMO. It does make your car louder under acceleration, but thats a plus to me, not a drawback.

Install is really simple, I can take mine in and our in 30 min now. The stock PCM just gets bolted into the new airbox. The CAI has a great mounting system for the PCM.

As Chibiblacksheep said, disconnect your battery for at least 30 min (just have it disconnected for the whole time it takes your to install the CAI). This will reset you PCM, therefore it re-learns with your new CAI installed!

I think you will like it, I DID notice a difference with it installed!

Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone. Certainly reassuring that I CAN do this myself with little experience. If worse comes to worst I can always put it back to normal as well. Time to order this baby up.

Oh and sorry about the signature, its been quite some time since I've been on the forums and I totally forgot about my sig pic. It should be corrected now :-)

Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I should probably mention that your 2006 doesn't actually have the U-Bend :P

And with a basic socket set and a couple torx screws you should be able to handle this job with no problems.