General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

FAQ's: Exhuast & CAI (Please look here before posting)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default FAQ's: Exhuast & CAI (Please look here before posting)

Alright, so one of the biggest questions we get here on the Monte Carlo Forum is what can I do to pick up a few extra horsepower, make my car sound better, and get better fuel economy. Most people look to this section to do this. This thread should answer your questions as to what to do to pick up some extra fuel mileage, some performance, and overall happiness with yourvehickle.

Note: This thread is subject to be edited and improved over time. I will try to put an edit note in each part added or edited.

Contents:
Section 1: U-Bend
Section 2: Resonator Delete
Section 3:Cold Air Intake
Section 4: Mufflers
Section 5: Downpipe
Section 6:Headers
Section 7: Helpful Links

Section 1: U-Bend (2000-2005)

The U-Bend is probably the first thing that should go. It is found only on the 2000-2005 Monte Carlo's. It was put in place to protect an O2 sensor. All it does is monitor the catalytic converter and report back to the computer how it is doing. That is it. It has nothing to do with your air/fuel ratio or anything. As you can see in the pictures, it pinches down alot, and as you can tell from the top view (sorry for the snow), that although it does widden and square out some, it's not enough. This was done by GM to protect the sensor. However, unless you plan on offroading (which we don't recommend here at the MCF), then you should get this thing tooken out.The pictures can't show it, but once you take it out and slide your fingers into it, you will find that it actually widdens out AFTER it pinches down. According to ZZPerformance, it narrows down to about 1.75" pipe. This is VERY restrictive, hindering hp and fuel mileage.

The solution: Find an exhuast shop willing to do it. Don't get discouraged or persuaded, because I went to 2 exhuast shops before the third one did it. They said thingslike"well if we do that it will throw the code on the computer", or my personal favorite, "it isn't restrictive at all!" Don't believe them. Many members have u-bend deletes on this forum. No one has thrown a code to date, and no one has broken an oxygen sensor by not having it protected in the u-bend either.

What you want done is to cut the u-bend out, and weld in a piece of straight pipe with a hole and an O2 bung in the side, and put the O2 sensor in the side of the pipe, instead of on top. This should run you around $30-40. However, I had topay $50 because exhuast shops in my area are expensive. A second option, and the one virtually nobody does, is to buy the piece from ZZPerofrmance, or PYFC, and do ti yourself. It is seriously cheaper to let a local exhaust shop custom fabricate a partdo it, and save you a Saturday afternoon of getting dirty. This should pick you up some gas mileage,some performance, and overall happiness with your car.

U-Bend from the side:

U-bend from the Top

Here is what the U-bend looks like under your car, with PFYC's u-bend replacement as well.

Section II: Resonator Delete

The 1996-2007 Monte Carlo's each have a resonator. Some argue that this is only a 2-3 hp increase, and others will argue that it is about a 6-10 hp increase. Either way, if you want just a couple of horsepo

Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: FAQ's: Exhuast & CAI (Please look here before posting)

I moved this topic to the General Monte Carlo Talk section because this question gets asked here the most.

Hope this helps the people who are curious about what their first mods should be.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Cough, cough. I'm running Borla's so you might want to take that part out.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

[align=center]Member Cowboy6622, `Duane deserves[/align][align=center]the credit for creating this informative Exhaust/CAI[/align][align=center]Topic Thread. It has great information for the members.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Thanks `Duane, & Mod `Taz[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Exhaust Theory [/align][align=center]Click below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_64192/tm.htm[/align][align=center]
[/align]

Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Great writeup man! Definately helped me out because I have been trying to decide on what mufflers to get. Right now I'm running straight pipes instead of mufflers but with the U bend and resonator still in, but I think I'm going to go into my local shop soon and have them delete the U bend and resonator and run 2.5" pipe all the way back to some Flowmaster 40's. Should sound nice and give my car a little more juice since I will also be putting in a K&N cone filter, custom sealed/insulated CAI box, and ZZP 1.0 PCM within the next couple months.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Good info.
Don't forget Morad Parts Company. Many stock parts can be purchased thorugh him. At a very nice price I might add.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Excellent information. My father wants to purchase a newer Monte Carlo so this should be rather helpful!

However, I'd like to see some exhaust and CAI information for older Monte Carlos. I myself may be picking up an '84 CS (with the 305) soon and would like to upgrade both the exhaust and CAI. However, there isn't much information out there regarding these items for Monte Carlos of this generation.

Maybe some experienced members could provide information as to where to obtain full exhaust systems and cold air intakes for other years aside from the newer Monte Carlo models.

- Bill

Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM

one of my friends recently discouraged me from the resonator delete because he says it could mess up the computer on my monte... are there any sensors in/behind the res?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: tommypro

one of my friends recently discouraged me from the resonator delete because he says it could mess up the computer on my monte... are there any sensors in/behind the res?
None at all. In fact it won't have any change on your pcm. The only thing it will do is increase the drone in the interior cabin and maybe as 1-3 hp.

Quick Reply: FAQ's: Exhuast & CAI (Please look here before posting)