General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Wiring help please

Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Wiring help please

Well I bought two red LED strips with plans on putting them under my dash and wiring them into the dome/curtesy lights. I mounted the strips today and tried to find the dome light wiring and I just had absolutely no luck. I need to find a place to tap into it under the dash. There is an orange constant power and a white ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A wiring diagram would be even better. Its for a 97 monte z34. Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Wiring help please

Here's the wiring diagram. Looks like either a white or an orange wire.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...ualpg12-39.jpg

Old 03-02-2008, 11:45 PM

I would immediately suspect that the WHITE wire is NOT a GROUND Wire. It may go to Ground ... after powering something or activating something else ... but, ... the Convention on Ground Wires is that they are BLACK.

If you Ground something to that White Wire ... you might cause a system failure by introducing voltage to a circuit that is supposed to be open and intermittently closed by a relay or a line current being Multiplexed.

When in doubt ... make your own Ground. The frame is Ground.

A White wire is probably running to a device, a motor or from a switch but I doubt it's a Ground Wire.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:25 AM

5 Year Member

Well the orange wire is constant and the white wire isnt a direct ground, but is what causes the light to go out. I think it goes back to a computer or relay or something that tells the wire when to shut down. I pulled the dome light and used it to hook my LED strip to to test it and it did what I wanted it to which was go out with the courtesy lights when the door closed, so I know these are the two wires I need. I may just get a roll of speaker wire and run it from the dome light down the B pillar, along the floor and to the lights under the dash and be done with it.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 AM

It's all right there in the diagram.

Look at the HEADLAMP SWITCH toward the top left of the diagram.

White wire is the power trigger you want. CTSY LPS ON

Black is ground. The ground is represented by a dark circle with 3 horizontal lines under it that get smaller.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:19 PM

5 Year Member

Its strange, I thought at first that white had to be a power until I noticed that there is no black ground that goes to the dome light, When I used the orange for power and white for ground the lights worked how I wanted them to. Thats what confused me. I may just not remember right cause I tried every combo of wires in the whole damn car pretty much. Lol. Ill try it again and use white for power and another black wire somewhere for a ground and see if I get the desired result. Anyway why would there be two power wires to the dome light anyway? One constant and one intermittant(by what the diagram says) and no ground? Am I missing something or has chevrolet defied the laws of physics? Another problem is still finding those wires under the dash. Like I said I may still have to run a wire or wires from the dome light itself if I cant find them under the dash.