Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Please Help Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Default Please Help Wiring Issue

i have my hot wire from starter running to switch, from the "hot" post of that switch power is sent to my starter switch and from bottom post a wire running to Batt slot in fuse block. Electric fuel pump wired to constant hot in fuse block, therefore flip switch for power, turn key for block to get power (starts fuel pump) and flip starter switch til she fires up and flip back off starter switch leaving main power switch and key on. If either are cut off fuse block looses power. HERE is my problem, switch is still hot but fuse block is not so i have nothing but a working starter switch. Replaced switch and no luck. Thinking it may be ignition switch but i would like to bypass that and straight wire another switch for my fuse block as well as another for my fuel pump to keep any extra load off of that block. Which wire do I need to find that transfers the power from my key switch to my fuse block so i can put a switch on it and get this thing on the road??? My first project and she was running like a scalded dog, please help.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK you lost me. I think you are saying your key will nor start your car and you are using a Starter Switch and you want to wire it permanently?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM

thank you for reply. nahh man, i wired the starter to the switch purposely. only purpose my ignition served was unlocking steering wheel and turning on fuel pump (wired to ign slot in fuse block) my hot wire from the starter that feeds thru firewall is ran to a seperate switch which i use to power my stater switch (post to post) and my fuse block (post to batt slot in fuse block) when turned on. I am getting no power to my fuse block at all, i need to know which wire is the hot for the fuse block so i can put it on a switch as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by nikk2themax
my hot wire from the starter that feeds thru firewall is ran to a seperate switch which i use to power my stater switch (post to post) and my fuse block (post to batt slot in fuse block) when turned on. I am getting no power to my fuse block at all

ran a hot wire to the wire which was running from "power switch" to Bat slot in fuse block and no power at all in fuse block so I am guessing my power source has been coming from which ever wire runs from the key ignition to the fuse block and i was mistaken, thinking my "power switch" was juicing it. i cannot find a diagram/schematic online to show me how this wiring all works

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This video should help with the starter wiring:

The way you have your fuel pump wired (constant hot) is very dangerous! If you were to get in an accident the pump would continue to run. You could be literally 'fueling a fire' if any of the fuel lines are leaking after impact.

Wire the pump through an oil pressure switch. That way if the engine dies (oil pressure drops) the pump will turn off.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
This video should help with the starter wiring:

Starting System & Wiring Diagram - YouTube

The way you have your fuel pump wired (constant hot) is very dangerous! If you were to get in an accident the pump would continue to run. You could be literally 'fueling a fire' if any of the fuel lines are leaking after impact.

Wire the pump through an oil pressure switch. That way if the engine dies (oil pressure drops) the pump will turn off.

thank you, i thought about that "fueling the fire" myself but didnt know they make oil pressure switchs

Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Default Anyone

how does a fuse block in a 85 MCSS get power?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Please post more information ?
The fuse box gets it's power from your battery. You should have a fuse box on the passenger side panel of your dash & also other fuse boxes under the hood on each side under a diagonal support arm that has to be removed to get at the fuses & relays. (IF they are bad or burned out (?) that would stop the power 4-Sure...

I don't know `if the above helps or not, but I was confused by your question...Please check back to see `if any of our expert tech members can help you > Good Luck
Below is a good investment to have

Last edited by Space; 07-26-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Please post more information ?
The fuse box gets it's power from your battery. You should have a fuse box on the passenger side panel of your dash & also other fuse boxes under the hood on each side under a diagonal support arm that has to be removed to get at the fuses & relays.

I don't know `if the above helps or not, but I was confused by your question...Please check back to see `if any of our expert tech members can help you > Good Luck
Thank's for your post Space I didn't want to sound mean an post that the power comes from the battery..

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Hi Jerry, I did not want to sound mean either, but we need more infor to be able to help...I just couldn't think of any other way to answer.

I've asked some really stupid questions in life & so many I can't count on the MCF...I hope we get more information & that we can help our member will a good answer...
Peace/Happiness from `Space

Quick Reply: Please Help Wiring Issue