General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Why is a Dealership called a Stealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Default RE: Why is a Dealership called a Stealership

see i like the new stang body styles better. somethign is wrong with the new chargers also they were never ment to be a 4dr. LOL

Old 01-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

a lot of dealerships lose money when they sell their vehicles so they try to beat it into peoples head to only get their parts from gm so they can make their money back.

always check aftermarket first before going to the dealer, there's a lot of companies making parts out there now.

i dont understand anyone going to the dealer to get any work done, because they rip you off anyway possible.

like why do people go to the dealer for an oil change??? or to get an air filter or plugs or general stuff like that..just doesn't make sense to me when they have the highest labor rate in town generally

Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM

"i dont understand anyone going to the dealer to get any work done, because they rip you off anyway possible."

Hey Wizz this simply isn't true all the time. My dealer is awesome when it comes to stuff. Their labor rate is actually cheaper than most AND when I buy the parts from my parts guy, they install it no questions asked. They also warranty it for me still. I can't beat it. I of course change my own oil though.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member

sorry, i've yet to see the dealer be cheaper on anything...just my opinion

Old 01-02-2007, 03:18 AM

True but I can say this....when I ordered my original set of wheel online I got crap 2x!! What a mess to keep sending the crap back. I ordered thru my dealer which cost about $100 more and bam...quality ones the first time with no hassle. Came with 3 year/36000 mile warranty too!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm a tech at a Volvo dealership and I would like to think the customer's whose cars I service don't feel ripped off. Sure, I don't set the labor rates or parts prices, which are high, but when I fix their problem I always save the old parts until they pick up the car and I document everything I did on the repair order. If they have questions, I never have a problem explaining what was done and why. But of course, not all dealerships are the same and not all technicians are the same. Some have no morals at all and have no problem upselling all kinds of stuff and scaring customers away. I don't get caught up in it, I just do my job honestly and worry about myself.

As for why people bring their cars to the "stealership" in the first place, it is because they might not know how to do these things themselves. Sure, a fuel filter is easy to replace for those of us with even a tiny bit of mechanical ability. But if you've never worked on your car, have no tools and don't even know how to change a tire, you're going to get it done. Sure, there are jobs that pay 13 hours that I can do in 4 without any compromise to quality. But it doesn't take 4 hours the first time, and that is what the customer pays for. They pay for my knowledge and efficiency. When you do the same job many times, you get familiar with it and it goes quicker than customer pay time. That isn't me ripping off a customer. That is me doing my job the best I can.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 AM

Thank you IROC and this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM

but see he is speeeecccialllll LOL

honestly from wha tyou have said you are one of the few that do the job and take pride in it. I can tell you that any work tat was doen on my car while here in Germany for the past two years (till warrenty went up) they did everythign they could to make sure they didnt hav eto work hard on it. I still ahve a knock in the steering wheel that they said is normal. YEAH RIGHT!!. this is the iss again but they tell me i dont knwo what im talking about. it started it with in a week after they fixed it. . almost feels as if the steering wheel is lose on the colum.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member

yes, i can understand with a volvo, or a bmw or a porche or cars like them, but with a chevy??? i know people dont know how to do their own work a lot of times, but take it to a little mechanic shop in your town, they're a lot friendlier, and cheaper, and your helping out their little business.

sorry, i just see the point in spending 'more' money to take your car to the dealer when you can have the same problems fixed with better parts and a shop around town.

dealer parts are nothing special...more than 90% of the time a north american built aftermarket part is better and comes with a lifetime warranty as apposed to a 1 year warranty.

sorry, i would never take my car to a dealer unless i had something like a volvo, a bmw or any other high end cars like porche or ferrari

Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member

and i work in this business so i know how it goes, when the shops around town call for parts they want good parts generally, not low end stuff, but whenever the dealer calls they say "send me the cheapest stuff possible" and then they sell it for a premium price.

sorry, every person i've ever talked to that takes their car to the dealer , then comes here to price their stuff out never goes back to the dealer again cuz they feel like they were ripped off

Quick Reply: Why is a Dealership called a Stealership