Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Why is a Dealership called a Stealership (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/why-dealership-called-stealership-3034/)

04 Intimidator 12-31-2006 09:19 AM

Why is a Dealership called a Stealership

In response to Cain45's question on another post. Discuss the problems you've experianced as well.

ORIGINAL: cain45

Why does everyone call the dealership "stealership"?
It's because very few people get that kind of service. The general public pays full price for the OEM parts. EG - The fuel pump looks like it blew in my trunk. $509. I can get a quality aftermarket part - one that is proven to work better than the OEM - for $380.

Also the huge markup on service costs -$5 or more one oil changes- than a quick lube using the same fluids. Also the amount of fluid changes (escalation of what the manufacturer recommends sometimes) and alot of what I feel are unneccessary repairs. In fact, the first dealership I was going to bring my truck to (to save on a towing bill) was going to charge me $80 to replace my fuel filter. - WTF!! I just changed it 2 days before that! I had it dropped off instead at my normal dealership and they said the filter was fine. Their also trying the $509 price, but I got my aftermarket one.

BeachBumMike 12-31-2006 11:05 AM

RE: Why is a Dealership called a Stealership

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/truckbar.gif
(above is Dan working on his truck...he get's it fixed & then gets a ticket for
burning out : ) [:@]..Sometimes, things just go wrong [X(]

04 Intimidator - Dan, I read the frustration in your words. My grandpa taught me that a man or business is only as good or bad as the actions of their words. Cain is fortunate to have a inside track at his dealership for discounts, but I believe that he is the exception to the rule.

There are many in business that are not ethical or conform to a high standard of serivce ormorality.. [X(] Profit, Greedor Survivalcontrols their actions. Who do you trust ? Really ?

I think it pays to do your homework/research, before youlook for a business to serve your needs. I have learned the hard and expensive way. [X(]Hopefully I have learned not to repeat my mistakesas I travel my journey in life.

Wish U a `Happy.....`Space

mickey 12-31-2006 12:24 PM

OK this is my take on it. while a ligament question on Cains part. i know we have some slang in here that others might or might not know. Please feel free to ask your questions on them as i have asked some also for things i didn't know the meaning of.
We all agree on this.

Please lets not make any issue out of this.
we don't need hard feelings to become a issue in here. ;)Thanks from the Moderator staff. :)

i do However agree with listing your experiences in here with dealerships (stealerships).I would also prefer to see the good ones recognized also.
The bad ones tend to be the norm more then the good in todays world.

benhillzone3 12-31-2006 02:32 PM

dealerships these days seem more designed to rip you off rahter than assist you in a way to make you feel like a valuable customer

cain45 12-31-2006 04:39 PM

Totally agree with what some have said. Here's an example of my dealerships service. I had a 1998 Grand Prix GTP that would hesitate and loose power and full throttle takeoffs etc. The ACTUAL service manager rode with me in my car with it hooked up to a computer and diagnosed the problem as a spark plug misfiring. That's service!!!!! They are awesome. The parts manager is who gives me my deep discounts. I don't know if a lot of you guys know the website gmpartsdirect.com? My price is below what they offer!

04 Intimidator 12-31-2006 04:52 PM

Unfortunately my limit of good experiances with dealerships involves getting my oil changed at Saturn. They give me cookies, soda, and a car wash.

My first bad experiance was with a GM garage in Appleton WI where they wanted $1000 in labor just to replace the alternator in my Fiero. The reason being that they needed to drop the engine in a cradle and lift the body off to get at it. It would take over 10 hours to do all the work. Now I had paid $1100 just to buy the car 6 months before this. I told them I would figure it out. My dad picked up the aftermarket alternator on the way home from work while I looked at a Haynes manual he also got for me... I was 17 and this is the first car I ever reallyworked on. Well I just unbolted the alternator, took off the distributer cap and wiggled the alternater by it. Had it fixed for $40 plus 2 hours of my time. =D

The next big one waswhen I owned my first Saturn - a purple 96 SL2 - I had some oil problems at 34,000 miles. I was going through 3 quarts every thousand miles...Yes that is almost 12 quarts between every scheduled oil change. The manager at the time said "That is in specification!" Come again??? That's normal?!?!

Needless to say, we made a deal in which I paid them $500 and they rebuild the entire engine. This was also due to the fact that I was driving it around a bit and before we discovered that it was a problem with the cyclinder walls, I had gotten up to 38,000 miles which is 2000 outside of warranty. I think they were afraid of a lawsuit so they cut the deal. Anyway I traded it in later when the engine was ready to go again... it just started burning after about another 40,000 put on the engine.

Well I traded it in for my 2001 (which I traded again for my Monte) and they asked if there was any engine problems - I told them I didn't notice any serious ones and if there are it was rebuilt here last. :) They were pretty quiet about that and gave me a good deal. I did get the 100,000 extended warranty on the 2001 but never needed it - that was a very good car.

Other than those 2 experiances I have nevergoto a garage as I fix it myself. Other than this fuel pump, I have only needed to bring a Geo in because I broke the bolts off to the brake caliper - that was my bad. And before I owned my Fiero I took my car track jumping - $1000 or so for an entire steering system. :p

My ONE good experiance was with the Monte when I brought that in and that required a bit of arguement and video taped evidence. They finally replaced the instrument cluster and sunroof electronics well within warranty - 25,000 miles. The sunroof unfortunately doesn't work again but that was at about 40,000 after only using it 4-8 times - that isn't the garages fault I don't think... I'll rack that up to GM for using poor partsas these are known bad problemsalong with my Blazers fuel pump.

I might also be the exception of mainly having bad experiances too.

mickey 12-31-2006 05:12 PM

now see this is why i dont own a ford. i have actually liked the rustang bodystyle and the wife would love to own one. I have gone in to three diffrentones acrossed america and ge tthe same thing.

the last one would not even allow me to test drive the car, I had one that refused to give me the keys. and another that said sure we can help you and let me test drive the car and did all the paper work and then procedded to tell me he needed more as a down payment. I tried to ge tthis for her as i knew she wanted one. So i went threw every thing i could think of to come up with more then the 7k i was putting down on the 11k car.(it was a 5.0 repo in the lot that she wanted)
after all was said and done they were trying to get me to pay it off . they wanted a total of down payments to come to 9k and then i would finace the last 2k with them.
After i left i stoped by the G.M dealership acrossed the street with the same 7k i was putting down. and walked out with a brand new 91 chevy 4X4 fully loaded king cab truck. and walked away with a good deal and the snow plow on the front end of it.
now i was blessed this year as we have a bad blizzard with in the first two weeks of me owning it. so i paid the truck off the following spring. and also i found her the first stang i bought for her and it was a year old the guy had been sent over seas and didnt want to take it with him i got it for a song and was paid in cash.
but i have never gone back to a ferd dealer chip sence. and never will told her the next one i will buy for her will be the 64 she wants or she can have a GM or a used oen of anykind as long as i dont have to deal with those fools.

2000LS 12-31-2006 07:01 PM

to go back to the original dealer vs aftermarket..... the dealer where i work also owns a napa, so service is able to give the customer 2 prices, oem and aftermarket parts on many repairs. 95% of the time napa parts are cheaper but more than half the time they make more by selling the napa parts.

AwesomeSS 12-31-2006 08:38 PM

It all depends on the dealership. When I was looking for my Monte I went to a couple of Chevy dealers that made me feel like I wasn't an important customer. I settled on a local Chevy dealer which was family owned for years a littel further from my house and they were great. I also have a new Mustang. We found this Ford dealer that was further from my house but they have outsanding service and they give us discounts on parts. Shop around and you will find a dealership that will suit you. Now I have to research Dodge delearships because I want to trade in the Mustang for a new Challanger.

04 Intimidator 12-31-2006 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: AwsomeSS

Now I have to research Dodge delearships because I want to trade in the Mustang for a new Challanger.
Now that's a good trade!!!