General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Whipple status update

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Hard to say as I don't have a lot of experience with different types. The only ones I've owned are the stock built in eaton, the crappy Animul one, and the whipple one.

I liked the whipple unit because it is a quality piece used on numerous whipple kits, the size matched the size on my IC, and I had a spot to mount it to.

I'm sure there are others out there that would work too. Just a quick google search found a couple other potential options:

That's supposedly a 02-07 mini cooper bypass valve. It's cheap- only like $100, but I have no idea the scale of it. I'd make sure the butterfly is of decent size before buying one.

Another potential option I found was this:

It's a bypass valve for a centrifugal supercharger. This would be nice because you could theoretically use your current connections at the TB adapter and lower adapter, and just replace your current valve with this.

Again, I'm not sure what size the valve is either. Also, being designed for a CSC, I'm not sure how well it would work out of the box. The operation should be similar, but you'd need to research more first.

You would connect it exactly where your current valve connects to- the big metal tube on the back of the lower adapter. Here is a picture of the parts you should have:

You can see the outlet of the BBV where it runs the tube to the lower adapter.
Thanks for the help bumpin. As far as the bbv it seems like the whipple factory one is a great choice as well as the procharged one. It will definetly be pretty easy to install with my current adapter plate.

Would have to do some research on them or buy both and see which works better.
Got my 102mm tb in the mail today. Still deciding which maf to run but overall so far so good.
just the custom bar and plate ic and bbv and some custom work to the tb adapter plate for the whipple. But that should be it. And figure out the pulley situation when I need some.

When do you plan to have the car up and running?

Would definetly like to see how it performs.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 AM

Any updates on the build

Last edited by gtp89; 01-13-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gtp89
Still deciding which maf to run but overall so far so good.
What brand TB did you end up going with? I've got a 102 on mine too.

I ended up getting my MAF from Texas speed. They had a nice 100mm aluminum body one with a slot style MAF.

When do you plan to have the car up and running?

Would definetly like to see how it performs.
It has run with the whipple before. I had the whipple on for about 2 years before I parked it (moved and couldn't bring it with at first, etc). I drove it a couple times once I brought it out here, and it's been down for this build ever since.

It ran pretty well before. The old Animul lower adapter definitely had some issues that couldn't be resolved without a lot more work. I also wasn't running an IC at the time, so I was limited as to how much boost I could run. I've still got a big cam, ported heads, etc- so the stock whipple pulley was no problem.

As for the new build, my goal is to get it on the road before summer gets here and it gets too hot (I took the AC out). That means shooting for a late March date so that even with schedule slip up to a month, I could still get to enjoy it for a month or so before it gets too nasty out.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
What brand TB did you end up going with? I've got a 102 on mine too.

I ended up getting my MAF from Texas speed. They had a nice 100mm aluminum body one with a slot style MAF.
I actually got a knock off version off ebay for 100 bucks which isn't bad and has had good reviews on the ls forums.

I was actually planning on buying the 100 Texas speed maf as well but laid of it for now since I heard it can be a pain to tune.

It has run with the whipple before. I had the whipple on for about 2 years before I parked it (moved and couldn't bring it with at first, etc). I drove it a couple times once I brought it out here, and it's been down for this build ever since.

It ran pretty well before. The old Animul lower adapter definitely had some issues that couldn't be resolved without a lot more work. I also wasn't running an IC at the time, so I was limited as to how much boost I could run. I've still got a big cam, ported heads, etc- so the stock whipple pulley was no problem.

As for the new build, my goal is to get it on the road before summer gets here and it gets too hot (I took the AC out). That means shooting for a late March date so that even with schedule slip up to a month, I could still get to enjoy it for a month or so before it gets too nasty out.
What issues did you run into with the animul adapter plate? So I know what to look for and be prepared for.

Also did you ever run any other pulley besides the stock 6 rib one?
Not on the new yella terra snout but previous one.

Currently talking with whipple to see what 8 rib pulley I can run and they suggested the ford lightning whipple pulleys.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was actually planning on buying the 100 Texas speed maf as well but laid of it for now since I heard it can be a pain to tune.
They did improve them recently- they added in a honeycomb screen to help straighten the air.

What issues did you run into with the animul adapter plate? So I know what to look for and be prepared for.
It's been awhile since I've messed with it. Obviously the BBV setup was terrible. IIRC, even if I added an IC, the BBV port would've been above the IC core which could recirculate heated air. My new core has the port physically above the core, but the air is actually drawn from the underside of the core to keep temps down.

I remember a few bolts that were crazy to get to. One bolt had to be dropped through the hole before the whipple was bolted to the plate (it was nice finding that out after you've bolted the plate on and have started half of the bolts into the lower plate). I could've swore I had to cut one of the bolt heads in half too (thickness wise) just so I could install it without hitting the blower. Also, being that some of the bolts were tough to get to, that also makes them impossible to accurately torque.

On mine, the PCV system was totally blocked. It's not the end of the world as I drilled the valve covers to run a full external system. You could run a breather instead if you had to. Lastly, I thought there was an issue where the plate could be installed with the blower slightly cocked.

I'm sure I'm missing some other things, it's been probably 2+ years since I sold it, and I had installed it probably 2-3 years before that, so I don't remember all of the little things. You could try searching clubgp- I know more stuff was documented on there from others builds.

Also did you ever run any other pulley besides the stock 6 rib one?
Not on the new yella terra snout but previous one.
Nope, just the stock one. I didn't have an IC, and had absolutely 0 KR across the board- so I didn't want to waste money on a new pulley since I didn't know how far I could go without the IC since I was already headed down the Yella Terra path collecting parts. Worst thing would've been to buy a pulley, put it on, and realize I went too far and can't tune it out.

Edit- I happened to come across a pic of one of the pain bolts from jonbob's build:

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-16-2015 at 11:59 PM.