General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

where is the vin# on the block of 2001 monte?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Default where is the vin# on the block of 2001 monte?

Hi, My name is Susan and I am new to the forum.
Last summer my monte broke down out of state. The mechanic there said I needed a new engine, car overheated badly, water pump went up,white smoke was coming from the tailpipe. It took me months to pay off the mechanic and pick up the car. Now the engine is blowing white smoke and I am being told by familly friend that the out of state mechanic may have not actually replaced the motor. Also Ive been told that I should have the engine vin checked to make sure it's not the original motor. No one knows where to find it. I've been told the engine has to come out to see it, but that person is not really sure how to find it either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Damn Susan that really sucks. Sorry I don't know where to find the VIN # either. I figured if I replied to this post. It might bring in someone that knows for sure where to look. GOOD LUCK

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Hi again Susan: Not sure how to get a hold of you. But maybe the best way to do this is call your nearest G.M. dealer and tell him your story. Then he could tell you where to look for the VIN #. Hope this helps you.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The engine ID number is stamped on a pad that is located on the left (front) side of the engine near the bellhousing.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've only noticed the vin on 1 engine block and it's one a friend of mine is now rebuilding. It's not in an obvious or easy spot. Perhaps some trips to to check "engine swap" progress would have been worth while (or at least see old and new engines). OR he gave you a salvage engine that has the same problem.

Here are the most likely situations you have in front of you now (as white smoke is using coolant burning up):
- Bad head gasket

OR if you have a 3800 with a plastic upper intake:
- Bad upper intake gasket
or
- Bad upper intake
Reason is that the gasket and or the intake itself can develope a coolant leak and send coolant into the same passages that fresh air is to go into the car. If the gasket OR the upper intake need replaced ALSO replace the LOWER intake gaskets (if you're having a mechanic do the work, the cost should not be much more to do the lowers, by doing the upper stuff, the lower is just a few bolts and it's out).

Also, in the disassembly to get as far down as the lower intake would be required labor even if the head gaskets were bad.

First thing I would do (assuming you have a 3800).... Get a radiator pressure tester as a loan-a-tool from the auto parts store. Connect it up, bump the pressure to 13lbs (or whatever the cap can handle) while the car is cold. Then, watch and see if you loose pressure and listen/look for leaks (if it's leaking, you will hear it hiss).

Hope that helps!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 PM

Rick thank you for your help! I am going to get the vin# checked. It is really hot here and we had 80 mph winds last night aned almost everybody is without power, except my house. pretty lucky, but I don't have phone service land line or cell.

Any way, thank you for your help with the question.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Thank you maniac. It is the upper intake gasket. I helped with the test (Testing tool from Harbor FRegiht, not the best for GM products) and once it was finally situated on the radiator you could hear the hissing pretty quick.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 PM

Thank you kindly for your response. We found a short number raised on the block, very grimy and alos appeared to be filed down. Couldn't really read it.I am relieved to find out that is not it. Will be hunting for it.