General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What would win in a race

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

how much'd you beat him by the first time?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
idk about that, was it from a dig? the 3400s suck from a dig but i've stayed head to head with a stock SS and I just had an intake, and I pulled away pretty hard from a rolling 30
I can vouch for that.

Good friend of mine has an 04 with the 3800, from a stop he usually gets me (I'll stay right on his bumper though). But from a roll a lot of the time I can take him. He's got a completely stock 3800 and I've got CAI, l67 coils, and exhaust on my 3400.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM

im not surprised by the outcome of this match up with the 86 5.0. that was the first year for fuel injection on it, and they werent particularly quick. i believe 87 got a different fuel injection set up, and better heads. either way all the 5.0 mustangs were under geared. car craft in 88 did a spread on a stock gt, and with the air silencer removed, timing bumped, and radials the car went 13.8 launching it at 5800rpm, and shifting it hard. i could only imagine the kind of times it would have run with some gearing. all be it this was a brand new mustang not one that was 20+ years old.

oh and on the whole traction thing from an earlier post, yes the monte has a bulk of the weight on the nose, and the mustang is light in the rear, but lets not forget weight transfer. the monte has a better chance of unloading the front suspension and spinning than the mustang would with a slight air pressure drop, and a careful launch.

on there not being any impressive gts till the new 5.0 i disagree highly. the fox 5.0 destroyed every car thrown against it from 79-92. gm had nothing to compete with them, except the gn, and corvette which were far more expensive. the l98 gm cars were ok, but still got worked by the 5.0 constantly. it took the lt1 to shut the 5.0 down.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
oh and on the whole traction thing from an earlier post, yes the monte has a bulk of the weight on the nose, and the mustang is light in the rear, but lets not forget weight transfer. the monte has a better chance of unloading the front suspension and spinning than the mustang would with a slight air pressure drop, and a careful launch.
I forgot to mention this in my last post and I completely agree. A higher hp fwd car is MUCH more difficult to launch then a higher hp rwd car. You're dealing with torque stear and the big one, weight transfer. Stiff springs are a must for fwd cars.

on there not being any impressive gts till the new 5.0 i disagree highly. the fox 5.0 destroyed every car thrown against it from 79-92. gm had nothing to compete with them, except the gn, and corvette which were far more expensive. the l98 gm cars were ok, but still got worked by the 5.0 constantly. it took the lt1 to shut the 5.0 down.
I understand that back in the day they were pretty good. But in the 80's the Camaro and Mustang went back and forth. One year the Mustang was better/quicker, then next year the Camaro was. Sure the 5.0 had a good aftermarket, but the smallblock has always had a great aftermarket. You are correct though that the LT1 did finish off the 5.0, and the Mustang never came back to compete with the Camaro until the 2011 5.0's. Even the 4.6's through 2010 have trouble with LS1 4th gen Camaros.

Is it just me or have I yet to see the results of the OP's race

Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
I understand that back in the day they were pretty good. But in the 80's the Camaro and Mustang went back and forth. One year the Mustang was better/quicker, then next year the Camaro was. Sure the 5.0 had a good aftermarket, but the smallblock has always had a great aftermarket. You are correct though that the LT1 did finish off the 5.0, and the Mustang never came back to compete with the Camaro until the 2011 5.0's. Even the 4.6's through 2010 have trouble with LS1 4th gen Camaros.

Is it just me or have I yet to see the results of the OP's race
i dont think they went back and forth at all. the 305 was never a good match up against the 302 no matter what model 305. the L99 (tpi 350) may have matched the 5.0s hp hell i think it beat it by 5hp, but take into account the motor was larger by quite a bit, fell on its face at 4000 rpm, and was stuffed into a body that was heavier by several hundred pounds, and that hp figure becomes meaningless. a notch 5.0 comes in well below 2900lbs. the only firedbirds of that time that could take the 5.0 stock vs stock was the anniversary edition that was essentially a gn in a firebird body(which was limited production, and cost a fortune). the L99 formulas still got worked over. ive gone to war with numerous 5.0s over the last 15yrs, and i assure you being a gm guy they were tough to beat on the street with any of the factory 82-93 small blocks. the 4.6 2v is a complete dog, but the late model 4v that came in the mach 1 can give an Ls1 a run for its money. the 3v was another piece of junk in my opinion. the L67, and especially L32 powered wbodies should be able to smack a bone stock 5.0 around, and the 4.6 2v before the pi heads should be cake too.

oh and the op posted his results, beat the 5.0 first round and got beat second round when the mustang was spraying. honestly if hes spraying the car i doubt it was 100% stock anyway.