General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What purpose to the electric cutouts serve...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

ty guys. im really up in the air about this mainly because of my warranty.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anything from your cat forward will void warenty is what I was told

Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
You need back pressure on a 5.3? It doesn't make much of a difference at all truthfully, and if all he wants is louder, it will get him what he needs easy.
you need back pressure on everything... ever heard a straight piped truck that's loud as hell but barely moves? same thing applies here.

but yes, it'll be loud but may be cheaper to just pull the mufflers off

Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

After my Monte bottomed out at a gas station and the exhaust coming loose this last weekend, I'll probably never have an exhaust cutout unless I ever go with a built setup. Had to drive about 10 miles home to get the car up and repair the clamp. I was basically running open downpipe but my downpipe is a little different because of the headers, so it was shorter as well. Was soooo loud and sounded cool for about 2 seconds then I was extremely annoyed. Pretty much zero back pressure so the car was extremely slow but I did have an older guy give me a thumbsup as I was leaving town

can't really tell in the pictures but it was the clamp that took most of the damage. Can't believe I had them facing down. My intentions were to turn them up after I got everything on the car but that didn't happen. Anyways, the clamps are now turned up and I plan on getting the downpipe section welded once I get a chance to park the monte for a few days.

Sounded good on idle though

Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
After my Monte bottomed out at a gas station and the exhaust coming loose this last weekend, I'll probably never have an exhaust cutout unless I ever go with a built setup. Had to drive about 10 miles home to get the car up and repair the clamp. I was basically running open downpipe but my downpipe is a little different because of the headers, so it was shorter as well. Was soooo loud and sounded cool for about 2 seconds then I was extremely annoyed. Pretty much zero back pressure so the car was extremely slow but I did have an older guy give me a thumbsup as I was leaving town

can't really tell in the pictures but it was the clamp that took most of the damage. Can't believe I had them facing down. My intentions were to turn them up after I got everything on the car but that didn't happen. Anyways, the clamps are now turned up and I plan on getting the downpipe section welded once I get a chance to park the monte for a few days.

Sounded good on idle though
thank you for basically just confirming everything I said lol, you should have taken a video, what diameter is your exhaust?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
thank you for basically just confirming everything I said lol, you should have taken a video, what diameter is your exhaust?
No problem lol.. I have a video of in the car at highway speeds I'll have to try and put it up sometime today. exhaust is 2.5 inch.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, your system is extremely low to the ground. Surprised you have not lost it before.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Wow, your system is extremely low to the ground. Surprised you have not lost it before.
Yeah I have smaller tires as well. Needed new ones pretty bad and they were basically free and brand new so I had to take them. Figured they'd at least last me a few weeks until I can save up for the correct size. Which I will probably be getting within the next few weeks. The bend in the pipe is pretty low.. not sure why. Anyone else here have Speed Daddy headers?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
you need back pressure on everything... ever heard a straight piped truck that's loud as hell but barely moves? same thing applies here.

but yes, it'll be loud but may be cheaper to just pull the mufflers off
A v8 is a different story when it comes to cut outs. There are tons of people who drag race and make more hp cut outs. You might see a small loss in tq, but the top end hp will get a good gain. Many ls1 lt1 people gain about 10 hp from it, which is good for a FWD car. Its not like they can be launched good anyway, so taking a bit from down low and adding it up high can make a decent difference.

I am running open headers on my 86 right now and its a whole different ball game form the 2000. It feels opened up, and doesn't drone like the 3.8 and 3.4 cars do without exhaust. It is loud as hell, but at least it sounds good.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Quick Reply: What purpose to the electric cutouts serve...